Round Ball Question

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
image.jpegI found what appears to be a round ball. It is smooth and weighs image.jpegapproximately 23 grams. It does, though, have what appears to be a drill hole in it, which goes about half way in. Any thoughts on that?

Upvote 0
Are there threads in the hole? Maybe it was pulled from a dirty gun.

Doesn't appear to be threaded. I'm on the road so will check again when I get home.

Looks like a ball puller was screwed into it...but.. it is very well centered, no upset near edges of hole and the ball shows no sign of having been forced into a rifled barrel. Hole appears to have been slightly countersunk too.
Depending on size it could have been used in a smooth bore ,but usually an unpatched ball in a smoothbore is held with an over shot wad/card allowing the ball to roll out after card is removed.

A wild guess if hole is not threaded, is that a performance enhancement was desired by drilling the hole before loading with the option of hole loaded up(easier to see while loading) or down.
Not unlike loading a ball with a sprue.
If so your find was a dropped ball.

Or if you want something from the seventeenth century...
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2013/12/ammunition-you-may-not-have-seen-before.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The hole is not threaded!

If it is the same size as a penny that would make it about a 75 caliber ball.

Where did you find it? NW SE MS,?
70 + cal would usually mean 'Brown Bess" to me. but Don't know.
Did it have any patina when found?
Was it a Water Find?
Depending on the answers to these ?'s I think it's modern ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back