Rosary piece?

satansfollower

Greenie
May 21, 2008
Hey everyone. I found this item while metal detecting in an area that has had settlers on it since the 1600s. I am not saying it is that old, but it has been stuck in my head all day. Way more than any other religious medal has. Other items found in this area are a bunch of flat buttons, big and tiny. And more modern coins, mercs and what not.

Am I wrong in feeling like this might be old? Something about the way the picture of Jesus was carved and then stamped, reminds me of old woodcut prints. I believe Mary on the back is just as good in detail but she has a thick layer of patina on her and I dont wanna ruin her by cleaning it off.

Any ideas on age? Country of origin?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 150
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
wording? --and need to see the top "loop" ---might be a "two sided" medal --or rosary center piece ... looks about early 1800 to late 1700's by rough guess ...most likely catholic but it could be others -- the area found at's explorer history might be a clue

funny you with that " screen name" should find this ---maybe its a hint to change yer ways...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
rosary center pieces normally have "three connection points" one on each side at top (left /right side) for the main loop of beads and at the bottom for the "drop" a short set of beads an a cross ---with this item only having a top loop --I strongly think its a two sided catholic Jesus and Mother Mary "protection" type "neck medal" that would be worn on a leather thong or small chain around the neck --my best rough guess early 1800 to late 1700 era (could be earlier --the area it was found in local history might help in time framing it)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. This was found along a river that was first explored in the 1620's. Jesuits priests followed in the 1640s.

It has wording on both sides but the only thing I can make out is on the side with Jesus and that word is INFINITA.

I think you are right about the 2 sided protection medal. I have been trying to find one similar online but have not been successful yet.

As far as the screen name, that was 7 years ago, if I could change it I would. :)

Upvote 0
the word INFINITA ...is Spanish Latin based ...female form for "infinite"...meaning limitless , endless , boundless, forever (non ending) as in JESUS IS FOREVER ....

Upvote 0
These are often hard to date with certainty because there are no catalogues on these (that I know of). Still, I wouldn't rule out 1600's. Try googling (and searching ebay) using search words "Old Religious Medal" "Old Catholic Medal" "Old Spanish/Italian religious medal" etc.

Upvote 0
Thanks. The example that closest resembles the piece I found is from the 16th century. I am almost neurotic when it comes to identifying my finds so this is driving me nuts haha.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back