Mar 19, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, E-Trac

Attachments

• IMG_0200.png
    IMG_0200.png
    311.1 KB · Views: 159
Doesn't look Roman or Greek. Are there any local high schools with a "Warriors" or "Trojans" team mascot?

Upvote 0
Greetings, and welcome to the forum .. Can you please tell us what size it is and what the back looks like? Thanks!

Upvote 0
None that I know of. It's a very rural area with not many schools around. I didn't think it was actually roman but I thought it may be oldish.

Attachments

• image-2909628446.jpg
    image-2909628446.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0
Yes, I agree it's not modern. I think by the fastener it's old enough that it's not school related, but rather a fashion brooch type thing. I still haven't exactly figured out what that clasp originally looked like, but my guess is turn of the century... But I'm going to go hibernate now.

Upvote 0
Nice find. Any Spanish gold or silver mines in the area it was found? Happy hunting, Sub

Upvote 0
no idea of the age , but im on the same page as the others , it looks like a broach/pin .
i do not think it would have been a decorative one due to how many women would have wore it ? mole along the line of school or specialties group. and with the climate in north texas that thing could have been there a LONG time ....

just my 2 cents worth and i am not a expert , just been around a while is all :)

welcome to TN and nice find,, keep it up.

after doing some quick searching , the figure looks more like a rendering of Ajax ..just a thought

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Believe Ajax was Greek, not Trojan. Rather weak nose tho for a depiction of a Greek, or a Roman, any of whom would be ashamed of a little schnoz like that. Features look Irish. ???

You know the clasps that hold capes on high school or college bandsmen?

Upvote 0
Romans were generally clean shaven, Trojan helmets were domed and Greek helmets did not have the coxcomb shown in the pictures. The helmet does look Roman though. Probably a 19th century idea of what a Roman looked like.

Upvote 0
Romans were generally clean shaven, Trojan helmets were domed and Greek helmets did not have the coxcomb shown in the pictures. The helmet does look Roman though. Probably a 19th century idea of what a Roman looked like.
Were did you get the concept that Romans were clean shaven.

Upvote 0
Generally speaking they were. For most of Rome's imperial years beards were considered barbaric. Facial hair was considered "Germanic".

Upvote 0
Looks like the soldier on the left side of this picture.

spanish soldier.jpg

Upvote 0
Generally speaking they were. For most of Rome's imperial years beards were considered barbaric. Facial hair was considered "Germanic".
You are referring to the Romans considered the Gauls’ wearing of mustaches with no beards to be the epitome of barbarism. Shaving wasn't known to the Romans during their early history (under the Kings of Rome and the early Republic).

SS

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back