woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roman Sestertius from Hadrian

Found this coin in a place where it should not have been, and then deep.
Since it should not have been there it is important to know the age of the coin, which emperor it is.
I am hoping that one of the Roman experts can determine that.

The coin is in bad shape, having lost about 38% of its weight over the years.
And although I can see the outline of the figure on the obverse side, I can only see a few lines on the reverse side.

Roman Sestertius from Hadrian
Weight 15,48g
Ø 33,5 mm
Bronze
Thickness is 3.1 mm, at the raised portion of the figure it is 3.5 mm

Attachments

• Romein coin_resize.jpg
    Romein coin_resize.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Can not help with a detailed ID as it's had a hard life. By the size of it alone you can safely assume that it is from the 1st century, just like us their coinage got smaller and smaller as the centuries went by!!
Hutch.

Upvote 0
Dad looked at itb & thought:
'I think the below RIC_0587.jpgis as close a match as I can find having looked at all the emperor heads from 0 to 200AD. With the type of bust and not much beard, if any, there are not many contenders – mainly Trajan or Hadrian'

Upvote 0
Can not help with a detailed ID as it's had a hard life. By the size of it alone you can safely assume that it is from the 1st century, just like us their coinage got smaller and smaller as the centuries went by!!
Hutch.

Thanks oldsoapy, that is good to know you think also around the 1st century!

Upvote 0
Dad looked at itb & thought:
'I think the below View attachment 622845is as close a match as I can find having looked at all the emperor heads from 0 to 200AD. With the type of bust and not much beard, if any, there are not many contenders – mainly Trajan or Hadrian'
Hi Cru, thanks a lot. You guys are good. A close friend also said that he believed it was from Hadrian, so I will use that. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back