Roman coin ID help

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
ebinger ebex pi, nokta fors core.CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi I've been out today and found this Roman coin but don't know what it is does anyone know. It's about 32mm image.jpegimage.jpeg

Roman coins over 25 mm will be designated as "AE-1" ; something to look for in it's attribution.
Another part of its description will state: "SC" meaning Senatus Consulto
The image on the reverse may be that of Felicitas.
Don....

Upvote 0
Roman coins over 25 mm will be designated as "AE-1" ; something to look for in it's attribution.
Another part of its description will state: "SC" meaning Senatus Consulto
The image on the reverse may be that of Felicitas.
Don....
That's great thanks again Don��

Upvote 0
At 32mm it can only be a Sestertius, the image is Hadrian.

SS

Upvote 0
At 32mm it can only be a Sestertius, the image is Hadrian.

SS
hi SS that's great, thanks for the ID. Its much appreciated �� by any chance would you know what goddess it is please

Upvote 0
wow! great find. love to dig something like that someday. congrats!!!!!

Upvote 0
hi SS that's great, thanks for the ID. Its much appreciated �� by any chance would you know what goddess it is please
It could be a number of reverse images, it's not a very clear, as you can make out TAS on the reverse, like Mac said above possibly Falicitas, or Aequitas hard to say really.

SS

Upvote 0
It could be a number of reverse images, it's not a very clear, as you can make out TAS on the reverse, like Mac said above possibly Falicitas, or Aequitas hard to say really.

SS
hi SS thanks for taking the time to find out about the coin.
I've been looking threw the different roman coins, it does look like Hadrian. but it also looks like Antoninus pius. I didn't realise they were so many WOW.

Upvote 0
I have no idea what it could be but i don't agree with the way you cleaned it. Nice find

Upvote 0
hi SS thanks for taking the time to find out about the coin.
I've been looking threw the different roman coins, it does look like Hadrian. but it also looks like Antoninus pius. I didn't realise they were so many WOW.
Yes Antoninus Pious is a possibility, as I said with a lot of wear it can be difficult by a picture, without having it in the hand.

SS

Upvote 0
Cru'Dad;

As others have said the coin is a SESTERTIUS (AE1) but I believe is an ANTONINUS PIUS AD 147 Sears Vol II No. 4174 RIC 770. Full Legends & descriptions are below as per this wildwind example but with the reverse legend in a slightly different place:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/antoninus_pius/RIC_0770.3.jpg

Obverse: ANTONINVS AVG PI - VS P P TR P COS IIII, Laureate head right.
Reverse: FELICITAS AVG, Felicity standing left, holding capricorn andcaduceus,
S-C across fields.

Upvote 0
sorry for the late reply crusader, thats great thank you for your help ��
Cru'Dad;

As others have said the coin is a SESTERTIUS (AE1) but I believe is an ANTONINUS PIUS AD 147 Sears Vol II No. 4174 RIC 770. Full Legends & descriptions are below as per this wildwind example but with the reverse legend in a slightly different place:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/antoninus_pius/RIC_0770.3.jpg

Obverse: ANTONINVS AVG PI - VS P P TR P COS IIII, Laureate head right.
Reverse: FELICITAS AVG, Felicity standing left, holding capricorn andcaduceus,
S-C across fields.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back