Rock with metal with it??

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
My buddy found this on his grandfather's farm. On the outside it looks like a regular rock. But, it gives off a signal with a metal detector. It's a lower tone, but I can't see any metal coming out of the sides? Can anyone identify what it is or why it's beeping? Rough measurements are 3.75" long by 2" width, and 1/2" thick.

It's not particularly heavy, about what you'd expect for a regular rock of this size. Thanks for any input you have!

Attachments

• rock backt resized.jpg
    rock backt resized.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 98
  • rock front resized.jpg
    rock front resized.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 81
  • rock other size resized.jpg
    rock other size resized.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 93
  • rock side resized.jpg
    rock side resized.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 81
I found something like that awhile ago... try rubbing it on paper... might be graphite?

Upvote 0
Getting a good signal on just a rock can be pretty rare at least where I hunt. It has happen too me twice hunting a stream near a river in Mathews,Va and I spent 30 minutes trying too figure out why and even breaking the rock open. Long as it is not gold or silver then i guess it really dont matter but I never could figure out why

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dug a rock out of my backyard the size of a shoe. It beeps like crazy on the MD. I have dug multiple other small rocks as well back there that give a signal. From what I know they are "Hot Rocks"

Upvote 0
Looks like Hematite to me. The scratches are strange. I am not saying Indian related but I do know they liked to scratch some rocks for use in paints and Hematite was one they used.

Upvote 0
Heavy mineralization will cause a detector to respond, they call them "hot rocks". Now, about the specimen it's self it LOOKS like it could be a fossil. I have dug pounds and pounds of bone fragments that look just like that. They are called "BOBs" for "blob of bone". When the animals bodies got washed into a river, they tumbled along breaking into thousands of chunks. It's hard to tell from the pick (I'm no expert) but if the center area looks kind of spongy you most likely have bone. If its solid, it's probably just a rock. The flatness make me think something like a piece of a tricerotops frill.

Upvote 0
If it was found on your friends Grandpas farm more than likely the scratches are from the rock having a tractor dragging a scraper across it and a lot of rocks have an Iron content to them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back