ripe for the pickin

W

whites6000inPa

ripe for the pickin'

Today, I decided to take a little drive down a road I'd been on many times before....looking for old places to hunt. I was driving and saw an apple tree, a rose of sharon bush, and a huge pine tree....in the middle of nothing....but woods. It's odd because it's right beside the road, and if you weren't tuned into the trees and such, you'd never guess there had been anything there. I found a place to pull off the road and walked into the site.

It's amazing....completely shielded from sun under a canopy of foliage, there's zero ground cover...even the grass is long gone, but there's a cement sidewalk into the place, right past that big pine tree. I'm chompin' at the bit to get to this place. Odds are it's not been hit...and if it has been....it would have been decades ago and the machines are so much better now.

The wife may have to tie me to the post in the basement to keep me home this week. I hope it's as good as it looks!

whites600

Upvote 0
Re: ripe for the pickin'

That sounds like it could be a sweet spot all right. Good luck on it...hope you get the permission you need.

dave

It might even be township property..given it's location. If that's the case...no problem. Otherwise it looks like a trip to the courthouse to even try and figure out who owns it. The other odd thing is that there's no cellar hole or foundation there....maybe it was a marina since it's right along the riverfront. I didn't spend too much time looking around. I saw all I needed to in 5 minutes.

whites6000

rose of sharon gives it up - those are a inexpensive item usually planted around a house - being a bit of a plant/tree buff i always look for the domesticated type specimens out in the wild - and savor the thought of finding those open areas in the woods - usually "for me" it yields lots of beer cans - this saturday it was a rare colt 45 and coors light , genesee cream ale - yah i am from pa living in ohio
::)lbp "GO STEELERS"

I found out some more about this site and I've secured permission to hunt. I talked to a guy who remembers that there was a very nice, and very large 1880's brick home there up until about 20 years ago. It's so grown up now that the driveway to the place is impassible unless on foot. The house, due to it's function in the last 50 years it stood (have to hold some things close), would have seen several families having lived there, and lots of traffic....coin and jewelry losing/burying traffic?...that remains to be seen, but the site was occupied for at least 100 years...and who really knows if that was the first house there? All I know is that it was the last house there.

Should prove interesting...hopefully not full of beer cans, but this was a pretty good sized, manicured lawn at one time...for a very long time, so there's no telling what it holds.....except promise.

Whites6000inpa

whites,
fantastic find there, keep us posted on your metal detecting adventure and what good you come up with.

I'll let you know what I find. I'm as anxious about this place as I've been in a long time. Hopefully the old DI Pro will find a few goodies there. I've used the same machine since it was new in 1984, so I'm familiar with it. I like the old analog machines. The new LCD jobs confuse me. My buddy bought a new eagle spectrum when they first came out. I wouldn't take 2 of those for my old Pro.

Wyatt

Congrats on finding this site ! Sounds like it should have some good finds there. Looking forward to your future posts. Good Luck !

Huntin' 59er

You never know about a site. I got permission to hunt a vacant lot where the richest guy in town use to live. I found out a lot about him and his family but not much luck for artifacts and coins! They (him and his wife) were pillars of the community, Southern Baptist Deacon and all that. But.....I think I found a few more caps off of cheap wine bottles than I did empty beer cans! There was easily a hundred of those wine bottle caps in an area where their old trash dump use to be before we had City trash pickup! Nearly every one of those things lit up my machine as a quarter! Drove me nuts. I truly hope you have good luck at your site. JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back