✅ SOLVED Ring with Eagle, Shield and Sword

Joe Davis

Mar 29, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful day here in SWMO so I headed back to one of my favorite spots. I have found tokens, KoP button, Indian Heads, Wheaties, silver and lots of horse tack here. Not a very big yard but every time I go back I find something else.

Anyway, today I found an 1895 Indian Head and this sterling silver ring. It has an eagle with a shield under it and 2 swords going through it. Can anybody help me ID it? The top is totally flat and smooth. Prob had something on it. Looks like the eagle and shield on the sides may be a standard WWII insignia. Just trying to narrow down the date.

Thank you (again)

Attachments

• DSCN0254.JPG
    DSCN0254.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 196
  • DSCN0250.JPG
    DSCN0250.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 195
That's not a cavalry emblem. Looks like a generic military ring that probably would have been sold to soldiers deploying during WW2.

Upvote 0
I'm not certain as to the answer to this, but Ant's photo is actually of item 10R in the link, which is from the Medical Department. Now of course the Cavalry had medical squadrons, but I don't think the whole Medical Department itself was under the Cavalry, so that may be an example of this symbol being used generically. Keep in mind that that these weren't issued items, and as such didn't strictly conform to government specifications.

Upvote 0
The ring at 25 R has the same eagle, shield, and swords, identical to 10R nebenz. I can't recall the exact thread but I remember reading a post about the same kind of ring. It came to be that back then these rings were sold in PX's throughout the military. The Calvary swords blades point up on almost all their insignias.

So if the top is smooth it is just about impossible to pinpoint the unit it was marked for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cavalry doesn't have a shield, just crossed sabers.

2B.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You can do more reserch, 5th Calevy, and you should look for more.

Upvote 0
The Calvary doesn't have an eagle insignia but the Army does.

Upvote 0
So this is probably a ring with the standard Army insignia on side and the top could have been whatever the wearer wanted i.e. medical, infantry, etc? Is it possible to date these? Would these have been available to purchase say during Vietnam War?

Thanks again guys

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So what's up, you must want me to write that the ring is no earlier than WWII and no latter than the Korean Conflict? There you have it, anything else? By the way nice find and welcome to TNET and you're welcome.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back