ring shaped thingny

Badfrog

Aug 31, 2007
HEllo,

Found this today. It's seem to have been gilded once and it's hallow. It's also fairly large (aa battery for size) It dosen't open up as the picture might suggest, it's suffered a bit.
ring.jpg

ring2.jpg

THanks for your help.

T

We have them on all our curtains

Attachments

• loop.jpg
    loop.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 369
Upvote 0
Hello, Badfrog!! Great find!! It very well could be a curtain loop, but I was thinking maybe a necklace picture frame, or perhaps a locket frame? I know it is large for this sort of thing, if not that, then maybe a pocketwatch frame with a loop for a chain? It looks to me as though it has a rim near the edge, which one would assume was there to encase an object? Just a few wild guesses!! Even if it is a curtain hanger, (I personally don't believe that they would be made of something that would rust!?), then it simply proves you're doing a great job cleaning out your sites!! By that I mean you sure aren't missing anything!!! Great hunting and good luck!!!! Regards, Richard.

Upvote 0
Badfrog said:
THanks, but It's about 4 inches across, so a bit big for those two suggestions.

T
Your picture shows a AA battery that measures about 2 inches long. Even though the battery is cut off, the loop appears in the pic to be less than 2 batteries long and less than 4 inch diameter. It appears about 3". Could you give us an exact measurement?

Upvote 0
quoted ; Even if it is a curtain hanger, (I personally don't believe that they would be made of something that would rust!?),

they still make them in Iron..... http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...p=F&srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=23-9946601-2

Or these from Ebay. Actually, with all the references to vintage and antique curtain rings bringing up current items, been hard to find a historical link. will keep searching.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-DRAPERY-CURTA...14&_trkparms=72:1209|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
skypilot02 said:
Even if it is a curtain hanger, (I personally don't believe that they would be made of something that would rust!?), then it simply proves you're doing a great job cleaning out your sites!! By that I mean you sure aren't missing anything!!! Great hunting and good luck!!!! Regards, Richard.
Who says its ferrous? ??? I missed that. Im assuming its gilded brass.

Upvote 0
GpSnoopy, BigCy, I am wrong, obviously. I made the assumption that it was iron due to the patina, however, I am somewhat colorblind, so I'm sure you are both right! Guess that's what I get for assuming!! LOL!!! :) Oh well, I tried and nothing ventured, nothing gained as the saying goes! Thanks for pointing out my misinterpretation!! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard. P.S., Bigcy, I see that you live in South Florida, I grew up in Ft. Myers, Tice specifically. Anywhere near there?

Upvote 0
skypilot02 said:
GpSnoopy, BigCy, I am wrong, obviously. I made the assumption that it was iron due to the patina, however, I am somewhat colorblind, so I'm sure you are both right! Guess that's what I get for assuming!! LOL!!! :) Oh well, I tried and nothing ventured, nothing gained as the saying goes! Thanks for pointing out my misinterpretation!! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard. P.S., Bigcy, I see that you live in South Florida, I grew up in Ft. Myers, Tice specifically. Anywhere near there?
I dont think Badfrog ever said what metal it is. :icon_scratch: We are both assuming.

I live in South Broward near the Dade County line. I work in the Big Cypress Preserve.

Upvote 0
Bigcy, This is true, we are indeed both assuming, however, I defer to your opinion because it wasn't stated the ring was ferrous, and as I said I'm colorblind! :) Great, I know exactly where you are located!! Great place to work I'll bet!! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back