Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally decided to try the beach mode on my new M6 and hit the beach this a.m. for the first time. Now I donlt know why I havent hit it earlier. Found these two rings, the first with a diamond like stone and silver..no markings. The second one has a red stone with two diamond like stones on either side of it. What I don;t know is the engraving inside of it, it says 18KRBP.....Any ideas on what this means? Thanks!!

Attachments

• ringsChandlers.jpg
    ringsChandlers.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 717
Mainedigger said:
Finally decided to try the beach mode on my new M6 and hit the beach this a.m. for the first time. Now I don't know why I haven't hit it earlier. Found these two rings, the first with a diamond like stone and silver..no markings. The second one has a red stone with two diamond like stones on either side of it. What I don;t know is the engraving inside of it, it says 18KRBP.....Any ideas on what this means? Thanks!!

i'm pretty sure that the RBK marking means white gold plated, the ring that you said is silver, chances are the stone is a CZ or crystal, they usually do not put diamonds in silver settings because it is too soft of a metal. the other ring on the right is probably a ruby with 2 diamonds on each side. i would take that one into a jeweler and have it appraised. nice find!!!!

Upvote 0
JoeinReno said:
Mainedigger said:
Finally decided to try the beach mode on my new M6 and hit the beach this a.m. for the first time. Now I don't know why I haven't hit it earlier. Found these two rings, the first with a diamond like stone and silver..no markings. The second one has a red stone with two diamond like stones on either side of it. What I don;t know is the engraving inside of it, it says 18KRBP.....Any ideas on what this means? Thanks!!

i'm pretty sure that the RBK marking means white gold plated, the ring that you said is silver, chances are the stone is a CZ or crystal, they usually do not put diamonds in silver settings because it is too soft of a metal. the other ring on the right is probably a ruby with 2 diamonds on each side. i would take that one into a jeweler and have it appraised. nice find!!!!

Joe...thanks for that! I figured the diamond like one was glass or zirconia( I am jsut guessing it is silver, there are no markings on it what so ever) wasn;t sure if the red one was ruby or garnett, will let a jeweler look at it and see what it is. I never heard of the RBK marking so thanks for the info, I appreciate it!!

Upvote 0
Nice finds, I hope you got a ruby there. Never found one
yet, as far as I'm concerned, a ruby is finer than a diamond.
Great rings.

Upvote 0
Those are two beautiful rings Mainedigger. I suspect the beaches near you, are going to see you a lot more often now.

and, I salute the soldier with the mine detector.

You guys had me a bit confused with your RBP and then RBK, but I recognise the R.
I don't know what the B means.
R is for Rhodium.
It is used to (P for) plate, silver and gold - also other metals.

My wife has her white-gold wedding rings re-Rhodium plated every fifty years or so ;D
seriously, every 10 years or so.

For the interested, here's an interesting link about Rhodium Plating.

http://www.artisanplating.com/faqs/rhodiumfaqs.html

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
Mainedigger said:
Finally decided to try the beach mode on my new M6 and hit the beach this a.m. for the first time. Now I donlt know why I havent hit it earlier. Found these two rings, the first with a diamond like stone and silver..no markings. The second one has a red stone with two diamond like stones on either side of it. What I don;t know is the engraving inside of it, it says 18KRBP.....Any ideas on what this means? Thanks!!

What were the number readings on each of the rings?? Usually a silver ring will be in the mid 70's and higher, and a gold or gold plated ( even Rhodium plated) ring will read in the 28-40's range.
I tested 12 different gold plated rings, with my M6, and most read in that range.

Upvote 0
Great rings, congrats!

I wouldn't give up on that first one. Not all keeper rings are hallmarked or sometimes, older rings, the hallmarks wear off.

As far as the other one. It may be 18K and then maker marks of RBP.
Typically, 18kt gold is a bit more deeper gold color then 10K or 14K.

Hope they are real, nice finds again!

Smiles!
BDoo

Upvote 0
The silver one is gonna have junk it in, we never put valuble stones in silver if they are clear. But hey its silver!

The other.

18k is a higher end gold used for more valuable stones. the RBP is the manufacture.
Looks like a ruby, and most likely is, if it was 14k I would say probably a garnet but in a photo good rubies and pyrope garnets (deep red) look the same.
the side stones are diamonds, rarely are CZs put into 18k
Looks to be a higher end generic department store type jewelry. A good find!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back