✅ SOLVED Rim fire cartridge, one striker Mark versus two like on a Henrys.

Bedrock Bryan

Mar 14, 2015
Oregon and Central to Northern CA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab X-Terra 70, Minelab GP3500, Goldbug 2, Deus...high frequency and stock coils, Equinox 800, and Minelab Gold Monster 1000.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inside diameter about 3/8" found in southern Oregon, Cow Creek., Northern extreme gold country in SW Oregon.
Info much. Information on this cartridge much appreciated. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454995476.593308.jpg 7/8" long...edit

Last edited:
That one will have been fired in a later Winchester rifle, like the Model 73, as I remember it, the Model 1866 Winchester had dual firing pins like the Henry, but was the last of them, with all further models having a single firing pin

Edit.... Without an exact measurement in 100ths of an inch, I'd guess that yours is a .38-40, 3/8ths is .375 cal....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That one will have been fired in a later Winchester rifle, like the Model 73, as I remember it, the Model 1866 Winchester had dual firing pins like the Henry, but was the last of them, with all further models having a single firing pin

38-40 is a center fire this is a rimfire. Most likely a 38 caliber rimfire revolver round.

check out this link

38ShortRimFireCartridges

Upvote 0
Thanks all, found several of these in an old Southern Oregon gold camp. I failed to mention that the manufacture head stamp was...US...not that that changes anything.

Upvote 0

38-40 is a center fire this is a rimfire. Most likely a 38 caliber rimfire revolver round.

check out this link

38ShortRimFireCartridges

good call. It was getting late when I was looking at this one.... :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
Cow Creek! I used to dredge there in the early 80's!! Lived in Roseburg for 40 yrs.!!!

IM

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back