Rileys Rainy Day What Is It??? Post

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Riley's Rainy Day What Is It??? Post

We tried to post these in the most unusual post, but I'm afraid they will be lost within all the great posts already there. These are some rocks that I've found over the years that we would like to have some professional opinions on. Here is the deal... if you're posting on T-net, then you're a professional in my book and I'd appreciate your SWAG (Scientific Wild A$$ed Guess) as to what purpose these tools may have had.

The first is a stone I found with some grooves. It's very heavy and not shaped like a normal axe. I'm not sure, so I'm asking... ??? ??? ???

PICT0457.JPG

The second is what I've always thought was some type of hoe or agricultural tool???

PICT0459.JPG

The third is really cool. This rock is completely round except for about 1/3 is abraded off and now there is a perfectly smooth, flat surface there. Some have told me this is from some type of game they played but I'm not buying that one... Take a shot at it, what do you think???

PICT0462.JPG

This last image is of a stone I found while deer hunting in KS. I was crossing a creek and looked down. I immediately saw what I thought was a mortar, but the inside is not smooth like on most. This has some very deep grooves cut into the bottom. I'm really curious about this one...

PICT0457.JPG

If you have any opinions, please share them. I am always open to someone elses thoughts...

Good Hunting...
Saftgeek

Attachments

• PICT0459.JPG
    PICT0459.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 356
  • PICT0462.JPG
    PICT0462.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 350
  • PICT0470.JPG
    PICT0470.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 354
Upvote 0
Re: Riley's Rainy Day What Is It??? Post

2nd stone looks like some type of hand chopper to me,the 3rd one looks like a possible hammerstone.Not sure about the others but these are my swags'. HB

HAND CHOPPER!!!! OMG... How many hands do you think its chopped off???

Sorry, I couldn't let this one get away. Thanks for your swags.

Saftgeek

I have a few of the third picture type rocks.
Nice round rocks with a perfectly flat surface.

Could we see more pictures of the piece with the flat surface in the third picture? That could possibly be a Cone, which is a rare find, but I need to see more pics from different angles to know for sure.

Thanks

Your wish is my command... but what is a cone?

PICT0461.JPG

PICT0463.JPG

PICT0464.JPG

I agree with Jeff. If I had found that I would call it a Cone too. As far as what a Cone is and what they were used for, your guess is as good as anyone elses. They are called "problematicals" which is the name that items get when no one has a clue what they were used for. Do a Google image search for "hematite cones+artifacts" and you can see some that look similar to yours.

Here's a couple of pictures of some Cones I have. The first one shows two Hematite Cones and a piece of Hematite with lots of grooves carved into it.

The second pis shows my Cones as they set in my Curio Cabinet. There are 3 on each side of the tray with the Gorget in it and the one on the back left hand side is very similar to yours and is made from Granite.

Attachments

• Artifact Pictures 128.jpg
    Artifact Pictures 128.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Artifact Pictures 083.jpg
    Artifact Pictures 083.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 239
  • Artifact Pictures 083.jpg
    Artifact Pictures 083.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 229
  • Artifact Pictures 128.jpg
    Artifact Pictures 128.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 227

Looks like a cone looks like the base is slightly cupped also.Great find! :thumbsup:

I vote CONE as well, very cool find any day let alone in the rain :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back