Revolutionary war mini balls

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
I found these near where the battle of fishing creek took place.They must have been dropped because the aren't flattened at all, and were all within five feet of each other. The actual site of the battle is unknown,but this tells me I'm getting closer. I also found a small piece of lead and a round silver piece about a half inch across in the same five foot area. On the other side of the property near the river I found four wheaties, twenty three cent in clad, one shotgun shell brass, and the back off of a lapel pin. All in all a good day! Just hope I can find the battle site!!

Attachments

• Revolutionary mini balls.jpg
    Revolutionary mini balls.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 387
  • battle site finds.jpg
    battle site finds.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 374
  • silver something f.jpg
    silver something f.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 391
  • silver something b.jpg
    silver something b.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 409
Upvote 0
If it's on state or national lands it's a great big no no.If caught on state or federal land detecting it's a felony and they can take your detector,vehicle and fine the heck out of you.The site I was at today is on privite land. The actual battle site of fishing creek is unknown. There are two different markers located about two miles apart, one put up by the daughters of the american revolution in the 30's, and one put up by the state, both on the road right of way, but all the land in the area is privately owned, and the land where DAR marker is will very soon be a housing development.So far I have got permission to hunt only one area, but soon hope to have permission to hunt three more tracts of land.Who knows, I may be kinda wasting my time because some people seem to think that the actual battlesite may now be under water.Here is a link to one mans account of what unfolded that day. http://battleofcamden.org/collins.htm

Thanks weldremark!! It would be nice to find the battle site (if not underwater)before its covered with houses!!

some good finds! The silver disc probably was a silver plated button. The musket balls are like you said most likely dropped. However they may not necessarily be connected to the Rev. War. I find them at colonial sites not connected to (Rev. War)? in Pa - were used for hunting game etc. Maybe you'll find some nice old coins there too! Good luck! HH!

You're right ocean 7 I found some of these in Maryland in the mid 90's and they were no where near any kind of battle site. Hopefully in the next few days I can find some more evidence one way or another plus the fact that I have to be within one mile one way or the other of where the battle took place leads me to believe that they were dropped either before or after the slaughter took place. It happened very close to where the wateree river (catawba) and fishing creek intersect.These were found within a mile of the intersection.

It was in Garrett county on some land my ex brother in law owned.We were hoping we could find maybe an old homesite or at least some old artifacts,bottles,old trashpile or something,but all we found were three mini balls.They were were somewhat flattened out so we knew they had been used and not dropped. We both went over his land pretty good with the detectors but didnt find anything else other than some shotgun shell brass.Two of the mini balls were found close together and one on the other side of the property.

hikermike said:
I found these near where the battle of fishing creek took place.They must have been dropped because the aren't flattened at all, and were all within five feet of each other. The actual site of the battle is unknown,but this tells me I'm getting closer. I also found a small piece of lead and a round silver piece about a half inch across in the same five foot area. On the other side of the property near the river I found four wheaties, twenty three cent in clad, one shotgun shell brass, and the back off of a lapel pin. All in all a good day! Just hope I can find the battle site!!

And the big brown thing under your 23 cents ?
Shotgun shell ?
Nice finds, I can bet after you get 20 or 30 of these you will start to wonder what to do with all the lead.. :D

I just found a lead musket ball at a playground the other day. Dont think the rev. war took place there :). found it about an inch down. found about 6 lead balls in my backyard, but thats because i shoot muzzleloader balls out of my slingshot.

Guess you need to be where a battle really took place not a playground to find the real thing. ;D

No revolutionary battles fought here, but just learned 300 British troops camped not a half mile from where I grew up. Area is known as "the village green" just below the old first church established in 1678. My self and my MD'ing partner will be scanning the area as soon as the weather permits.

There should be some nice finds there!!Thats an old church!! There should be some killer finds there too.....if it hasnt already been gone over too many times,and they will let you hunt it.The springs or creeks where they got water seem to be good areas to look too.Good luck and I hope it warms up for ya soon!!! H.H.

There's a creek running in between the village green and the church, thats where I planned on starting, earliest map I've come across is from 1852 and shows the creek in or about the same location. It's moved a little to the west in one area on the south side of the location but the rest doesn't appear to have changed at all. Just waiting on spring!!
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? kenb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back