Revolutionary war fort found in east Georgia

Wow, I never knew there were any revolutionary war battles in Georgia.Most people think of Valley Forge. Around San Antoniothere has been interest in the exact location for the Battle of Medina,somewhere on the southside of town.I don't know if they have done any digging in the area where the historical marker for the battle is.What a really great find.

That is pretty cool .but it does bother me to think some people are given tax dollars to hunt

While tax dollars are used to prevent others from hunting.
Hope I didn't tease the hornets

More than 234 years later, archaeologists say they've pinpointed the location of Carr's Fort in northeastern Georgia after a search with metal detectors covering more than 4 square miles turned up musket balls and rifle parts as well as horse shoes and old frying pans.

You notice that archaeologist are credited with finding it after 4 sq. miles were searched with metal detectors. Some things never change! Frank...

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

WAIT A MINUTE!!!! More than 234 years later, archaeologists say they've pinpointed the location of Carr's Fort in northeastern Georgia after a search with metal detectors covering more than 4 square miles turned up musket balls and rifle parts as well as horse shoes and old frying pans.

OMG!!!! Archaeologist actually using a Metal Detector????? MY GOODNESS!!!! If they would have searched for it like 80% of archaeologist do without metal detectors it would have taken years and years (probably why they never found it) heck I have gotten permission too go back too sites were archaeologist once were digging and doing things without a MD and found piles and piles and piles of artifacts! Unreal... Kewl info.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!! More than 234 years later, archaeologists say they've pinpointed the location of Carr's Fort in northeastern Georgia after a search with metal detectors covering more than 4 square miles turned up musket balls and rifle parts as well as horse shoes and old frying pans.

OMG!!!! Archaeologist actually using a Metal Detector????? MY GOODNESS!!!! If they would have searched for it like 80% of archaeologist do without metal detectors it would have taken years and years (probably why they never found it) heck I have gotten permission too go back too sites were archaeologist once were digging and doing things without a MD and found piles and piles and piles of artifacts! Unreal... Kewl info.

They are having to learn them. I was contacted by a group of them that had access to a one day only in a park to study a specific area and no one knew how to use a metal detector.:dontknow: I would think it would be a tool taught in school.
There were several battles in Ga and Tn during the Rev war. Every settlement in Tn and Ga was mostly a fort due to the Native Americans back then.

I helped out some archies in De. One of them I worked with had a detector, but said not to tell the museum because it was taboo to use one. We found some interesting items and some clay bricks gave off a signal. I researched this and found out that some foreign bricks contain bauxite, a blue clay that is actually raw aluminum. No American made bricks contain it. So bricks were brought over in ships as ballast in the hole and then used for construction.
Interesting trace factor. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

Wow Frank! When was this (your help)? Recently or years ago? Perhaps a moment of reluctant evolution for these guys.
Interesting about the bricks as ballast for construction. What might they have thought they would use as return ballast? Copper? LOL
Ray
I helped out some archies in De. One of them I worked with had a detector, but said not to tell the museum because it was taboo to use one. We found some interesting items and some clay bricks gave off a signal. I researched this and found out that some foreign bricks contain bauxite, a blue clay that is actually raw aluminum. No American made bricks contain it. So bricks were brought over in ships as ballast in the hole and then used for construction.
Interesting trace factor. Frank...

View attachment 792346

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back