Revolutionary War Era Navy Captain's Button!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If only this button could talk! A Revolutionary War button of any type has been on my bucket list, but given that landlocked would be a polite term for where I am, I didn't think for one moment that it would be navy!

I hit a few new sites deep in the woods this weekend, but this was found in the roadbed between two cellar holes. It may not have any particular link to the people who lived in those houses since this was a fairly well traveled road in the late 1700's. It was a really crummy signal too that I was sure would be an iron carriage bolt or something and naturally it was in a nest of roots. Imagine my surprise when I saw this:

20180929_182939.jpg

The anchor was clearly visible right out of the ground and even the chain links were defined.

20180929_183010.jpg

Unfortunately the patina is very unstable on copper/brass relics from this area so I kept it moist and did my best at home to save it. I really didn't want to lose all the detail and I knew if I tried to clean the patina away it would be gone. Even the slight drying on the trip home started it flaking and I ended up painting it with dilute elmer's glue like I would a pewter button.

DSC09963.JPGDSC09964.JPGDSC09965.JPG

Not perfect, but at least it's stable now and enough detail was preserved that I could do some research. I'm fairly sure it's either a BNC.l or BNC.m which would put it in the 1774-1787 date range. I guess in later years they were used for other officer positions, but I don't know how likely it would be that an RN surgeon, purser or warrant officer were wandering around the hills of eastern New York. Then again I don't know what a British captain would be doing here either. :laughing7: My theory is that it's from a continental navy officer who settled up here, but it would be difficult to prove. For now it's just an awesome recovery that I couldn't be happier with!

I also had another great late 18th century first from this area; I finally found a "Tallio" cufflink!

DSC09959.JPGDSC09960.JPG

Not a ton of detail, but I'm so happy to have recovered one. There's actually a very active hunt club in the area and I had the strange fortune to be detecting a cellar hole in the middle of one of their hunts (they don't kill, they just track and release). I hear the hounds in the distance and of a sudden I'm surrounded by two dozen dogs all running and making their characteristic barking howl. They barely paid me any notice and a few seconds later the chaser's came through on horseback and in their full dress asking if I'd seen a coyote run through. I had not, but they told me if I did to shout "Tally-Ho" and then they galloped off leaving me to wonder if I was going to feel silly yelling tally-ho into the empty woods.

Certainly one of my oddest detecting experiences, but here's a piece that shows they've been doing the same thing in these woods for well over 200 years!

Back to this weekend; I did recover a good variety of other relics.

DSC09944.JPGDSC09947.JPGDSC09949.JPG

The heel plate is my first complete one and I was surprised by how small it was. Also I think it's zinc and not brass which is strange and there's a ton of leather still attached to the iron nails which were also preserved. Very odd, but a cool find. The watch movement has "Union Watch Co." in nice script letters and the porcelain doorknob is beautiful. I've found a few broken ones of the same marbled style, but this is the first complete one!

And lest you think the navy button was the only button; I had a good variety turn up over the hunt:

DSC09955.JPGDSC09956.JPGDSC09957.JPG

The fancy button I actually posted on the "What Is It" forum because it had a very usual back mark. TheCannonBallGuy correctly identified it as Hayden & Grilley which was a short-lived partnership between two button manufacturers in Waterbury CT. Bramblefind also found some non-dug examples online. It's a beautiful design and wonderfully preserved; definitely one of my favorite Golden Age button finds!

Finally I have a mystery piece that has me intrigued. At first I thought it was just a mangled strip of brass, but once I cleaned it I noticed the pattern:

DSC09950.JPGDSC09951.JPG

One side has an eagle with the arrows and olive branch in its talons, and the other side is an anchor. It seems like it's a navy piece and the style has me thinking 1830's to 1850's. I suspect it's broken off a larger object, but maybe part of a placard or nameplate.

Oddly no coins this weekend, but I'm more than happy with the results. The navy button is right up there with my GW for best finds of the year. I'm still going to be looking for a pewter USA button, but for now I have a major bucket-lister crossed off!

Upvote 38
Wow that plate is awesome. I am looking forward to someone telling us what it is but that long neck eagle is the old fashioned one you guess on time period is exactly what I'd think.

If only this button could talk! A Revolutionary War button of any type has been on my bucket list, but given that landlocked would be a polite term for where I am, I didn't think for one moment that it would be navy!

I hit a few new sites deep in the woods this weekend, but this was found in the roadbed between two cellar holes. It may not have any particular link to the people who lived in those houses since this was a fairly well traveled road in the late 1700's. It was a really crummy signal too that I was sure would be an iron carriage bolt or something and naturally it was in a nest of roots. Imagine my surprise when I saw this:

View attachment 1638391

The anchor was clearly visible right out of the ground and even the chain links were defined.

View attachment 1638393

Unfortunately the patina is very unstable on copper/brass relics from this area so I kept it moist and did my best at home to save it. I really didn't want to lose all the detail and I knew if I tried to clean the patina away it would be gone. Even the slight drying on the trip home started it flaking and I ended up painting it with dilute elmer's glue like I would a pewter button.

View attachment 1638395View attachment 1638396View attachment 1638397

Not perfect, but at least it's stable now and enough detail was preserved that I could do some research. I'm fairly sure it's either a BNC.l or BNC.m which would put it in the 1774-1787 date range. I guess in later years they were used for other officer positions, but I don't know how likely it would be that an RN surgeon, purser or warrant officer were wandering around the hills of eastern New York. Then again I don't know what a British captain would be doing here either. :laughing7: My theory is that it's from a continental navy officer who settled up here, but it would be difficult to prove. For now it's just an awesome recovery that I couldn't be happier with!

I also had another great late 18th century first from this area; I finally found a "Tallio" cufflink!

View attachment 1638416View attachment 1638417

Not a ton of detail, but I'm so happy to have recovered one. There's actually a very active hunt club in the area and I had the strange fortune to be detecting a cellar hole in the middle of one of their hunts (they don't kill, they just track and release). I hear the hounds in the distance and of a sudden I'm surrounded by two dozen dogs all running and making their characteristic barking howl. They barely paid me any notice and a few seconds later the chaser's came through on horseback and in their full dress asking if I'd seen a coyote run through. I had not, but they told me if I did to shout "Tally-Ho" and then they galloped off leaving me to wonder if I was going to feel silly yelling tally-ho into the empty woods.

Certainly one of my oddest detecting experiences, but here's a piece that shows they've been doing the same thing in these woods for well over 200 years!

Back to this weekend; I did recover a good variety of other relics.

View attachment 1638426View attachment 1638427View attachment 1638428

The heel plate is my first complete one and I was surprised by how small it was. Also I think it's zinc and not brass which is strange and there's a ton of leather still attached to the iron nails which were also preserved. Very odd, but a cool find. The watch movement has "Union Watch Co." in nice script letters and the porcelain doorknob is beautiful. I've found a few broken ones of the same marbled style, but this is the first complete one!

And lest you think the navy button was the only button; I had a good variety turn up over the hunt:

View attachment 1638432View attachment 1638434View attachment 1638435

The fancy button I actually posted on the "What Is It" forum because it had a very usual back mark. TheCannonBallGuy correctly identified it as Hayden & Grilley which was a short-lived partnership between two button manufacturers in Waterbury CT. Bramblefind also found some non-dug examples online. It's a beautiful design and wonderfully preserved; definitely one of my favorite Golden Age button finds!

Finally I have a mystery piece that has me intrigued. At first I thought it was just a mangled strip of brass, but once I cleaned it I noticed the pattern:

View attachment 1638437View attachment 1638438

One side has an eagle with the arrows and olive branch in its talons, and the other side is an anchor. It seems like it's a navy piece and the style has me thinking 1830's to 1850's. I suspect it's broken off a larger object, but maybe part of a placard or nameplate.

Oddly no coins this weekend, but I'm more than happy with the results. The navy button is right up there with my GW for best finds of the year. I'm still going to be looking for a pewter USA button, but for now I have a major bucket-lister crossed off!

Great finds and great description! I've not found any anchor style buttons yet but I hope I cross paths with one someday! Can you elaborate on the elmers glue conserving method? Do you ever use it on coins? Thanks!

Can you elaborate on the elmers glue conserving method? Do you ever use it on coins? Thanks!

For copper/brass it's a method of last-resort if I think I'm going to lose the detail that would enable positive identification just from it drying all the way. Sometimes the patina is thick enough or bonded to the base metal to the point that as long as you don't fuss with it it'll hold together, but on other pieces like this the patina will actively flake off even just sitting by itself.

In those cases it's the same mixture I would use for permanent preservation of pewter buttons and relics (50/50 elmer's washable glue and water) and then lightly brushed over the surface taking care not to let it pool unevenly or accumulate bubbles.

It holds the flakes onto the surface, the downside being that the contrast isn't great and you can't do any other methods like tooth-picking until the glue is removed. If I'm happy with the result I might leave it as it is, but if not I'll get a positive ID and soak the relic in water to remove the glue and try further cleaning. On a piece as interesting as this I probably won't fool with it unless I get a chance to practice with some other similar condition relics that aren't as rare and see if I consistently like the result. It's always a gamble though, since you can't take it back when it comes to cleaning.

Awesome relics and and Rev War button!

That’s one heck of a hunt.
Tally-Ho.

wow really great finds

That is a great find! :icon_thumleft: They're all great! Very nice buttons!

Banner in my book wow amazing button and relics Thanks for the great post

Great relic hunt! :icon_thumleft:

Congrats on a nice Rev War navy, and that plate is killer!!!! I've found a few rev war navy buttons this year. I use a lemon juice soak then when I'm happy with the results, seal it in paraffin wax. Here is an example of one I found: (in case you're interested in the process)

Attachments

• IMG_20180608_003950_658.jpg
    IMG_20180608_003950_658.jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Congrats on a nice Rev War navy! I've found a few this year. I use a lemon juice soak then when I'm happy with the results, seal it in paraffin wax. Here is an example of one I found:

That one turned out great! Do you dilute the lemon juice or is it full concentration?

It's full concentration. I use a Q-Tip to gently rub it every 30 seconds or so until the gold gilt pops. Some take several minutes and some only take 30 seconds. Then I put tin foil on a baking sheet, turn the oven on broil, place the button on the foil, cut enough paraffin wax to cover the surface of the button and place it in the oven. Keep the oven door open a bit so you can see it. When the wax melts over the button, remove the baking sheet and blow the excess wax off the button. You may need to put it in again to melt more of the excess off.

I'm due for one of those early Navy... dug mine in 2004! We're in another same club as well as I've found a Tallio cufflink too. :icon_biggrin:

I'm due for one of those early Navy... dug mine in 2004!

If you haven't dug one since 2004 that means it's a seriously rare button! I'm always floored by the buttons you pull out of the ground; can't wait to see what you unearth this fall!

If you haven't dug one since 2004 that means it's a seriously rare button! I'm always floored by the buttons you pull out of the ground; can't wait to see what you unearth this fall!

Relicmedic has the market cornered on those Navy! I had such a good little run lately with some I really like, I already consider the Fall a success... but I'll also be interested to see what I can add to it. Ironhorse and I will be out for our first Fall hunt tomorrow! :headbang:

Wow! What an awesome find!

Very awesome finds. The buttons are beauties. Congrats :icon_thumright:

Love the buttons and the great info, congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back