Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Revolutionary War Button & tiny Lid ???

Hey Good Folks, Hopefully somebuddy can ID and date this button and lid looking piece. The patina on the handle of the 'lid' is outstanding and extremely smooth, which doesn't show in the photos. As shown, both are slightly larger than a penny. Any help would be appreciated. :D Breezie

Attachments

• ButtonLid1.jpg
    ButtonLid1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 329
  • ButtonLid2.jpg
    ButtonLid2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 342
  • ButtonLid3.jpg
    ButtonLid3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 355
  • ButtonLid4.jpg
    ButtonLid4.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 331
  • ButtonLid5.jpg
    ButtonLid5.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 336
Re: Revolutionary War Button & tiny Lid ???

The button does date right around the Rev War. I would have hated to see the back of that one in the dirt because I would have expected something great!

Upvote 0

bigcypresshunter said:
Isnt that "tiny lid" a snap or finial? :dontknow: http://lonitagraham.tripod.com/id2.html

BCH, thanks for your post. I have several finials, and even though the handle has that shape, it's not a finial. I attached a pic from a birdseye view so you could see the size of the flat base. It looks like it is some type of lid that rotated in the top of a container, and the square hole allowed whatever was inside to come out. I would guess something granulated instead of liquid.The raised area looks like someone tried to pry-up or pry-open the lid from the container.

Iron Patch said:
The button does date right around the Rev War. I would have hated to see the back of that one in the dirt because I would have expected something great!
Tell me about it . . .when I saw the back of that button in the dirt, I was doing the 'oh yes' dance. IP, what's your take on the lid looking thing?

Thank you for your replies. Breezie

Attachments

• Lid2.jpg
    Lid2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 287
  • Lid1.jpg
    Lid1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 263
Upvote 0

The lid may be to a needle or toothpick case.

Upvote 0

I am thinking the "lid" is a weight for measuring metals or similar on a scale..

Upvote 0

lostcauses said:
I am thinking the "lid" is a weight for measuring metals or similar on a scale..

That could be why the hole is there. I'd be curious to know if it weighs an even weight.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch said:
lostcauses said:

That could be why the hole is there. I'd be curious to know if it weighs an even weight.

Here ya go in ounces, grams, and pennyweight:

Attachments

• 1LidWeightOz.jpg
    1LidWeightOz.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 2LidWeightGram.jpg
    2LidWeightGram.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 3LidWeightPennyweight.jpg
    3LidWeightPennyweight.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0

By the scale it is a weight, accurate still. Some were added to, too get a bit over on a person selling.

Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher said:
kuger said:
Breezie,your lid is off a shotgun shot sock,they were worn across the chest or under the arm,and your piece was the spout,which was turned to dispense the shot :thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/19th-C-Antique-...I&otn=2&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=462370925577240214
:thumbsup:

Great ID Kuger :headbang:

SS

Thanks bud,I found several myself and it wasnt until I bought a complete "rig",did I know what they were!
Silver Searcher said:
kuger said:
Breezie,your lid is off a shotgun shot sock,they were worn across the chest or under the arm,and your piece was the spout,which was turned to dispense the shot :thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/19th-C-Antique-...I&otn=2&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=462370925577240214
:thumbsup:

Great ID Kuger :headbang:

SS

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Wooooooo Hoooooooo Kuger . . .you da man! :thumbsup: I'm headed to add a big ole green check mark on this one. Thanks to everyone who rode this ride, and for the kudos. ;D Breezie

Upvote 0

Breezie said:
Wooooooo Hoooooooo Kuger . . .you da man! :thumbsup: I'm headed to add a big ole green check mark on this one. Thanks to everyone who rode this ride, and for the kudos. ;D Breezie

:thumbsup:You bet Breez

Upvote 0

Attachments

• shot dispenser spout.jpg
    shot dispenser spout.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
thanks for putting my mind at ease.I dug one a few days ago and had no clue what it was until now.

Attachments

• 100_2364.JPG
    100_2364.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_2365.JPG
    100_2365.JPG
    422 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_2367.JPG
    100_2367.JPG
    749.6 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions