Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Everybody!

The last couple months I have been working with our local very small town "museum" building displays and such. One of the items that I really love is a British coat from the Rev war. Being honest I know pretty much nothing about Civil War artifacts, and even less about Rev war artifacts. They are wanting to provide some information to the viewers about the coat and asked if I knew anything about it which I did not. I thought however it could be identified by the buttons? Perhaps not. But I took a halfway decent photo of one of the buttons. It appears to have an I crossed with what I am sure is a sabre/sword. It is gold in color and a bit larger then a quarter. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Jay

Rev Button.jpg

They are 1790s/War of 1812 British Generals buttons.

I would have to think that coat would be fairly rare, although there's a surprising number of these buttons that are non dug that exist. I have never seen one attached to a coat though.... not that I've been looking. Awesome coat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So NOT Revolutionary War buttons/coat? You're 100% sure because what I tell them is what will be on the information with the coat in their display and I would hate to give them incorrect information. And trust me, I am not disputing what you're saying as I have absolutely no clue myself.

Upvote 0
So NOT Revolutionary War buttons/coat? You're 100% sure because what I tell them is what will be on the information with the coat in their display and I would hate to give them incorrect information. And trust me, I am not disputing what you're saying as I have absolutely no clue myself.

Yes, it definitely dates after the Revolution.There's many books on Rev War buttons and this one is never included. I have owned 4 non dug ones of this button. Being you have the entire coat you should contact the British Museum and I'm sure they would help you out in deciding the proper way to label it. I would guess those buttons were probably first issued in the 1790s and ran through the War of 1812, and maybe a little later. You can google and see the same pattern went on for many many years, only the construction of the button changed. Let us know if you do contact anyone because it would be interesting to hear their thoughts.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back