Rev War Site Item

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I found this near the New Windsor Cantonment - a large encampment in New York State. There's nothing written on the round part, which is thin and about the size of quarter. That part is hinged from the other piece, as you can see. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Attachments

• rev_item1.JPG
    rev_item1.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 450
  • rev_item1.JPG
    rev_item1.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 439
There have been similar items on T'Net lately described as (possibly) musket patch-box covers.

Mike

Upvote 0
I am leaning towards "pipe top" on this one--the main reason being the smaller size and thin construction of the item. A patch box cover would've been cast brass rather than stamped--and it also would've been sturdy..

-Buckles

Upvote 0
The many pipe covers I have seen were attached to a ring that went on the bowl.This one doesnt have that type of attachement?

Upvote 0
I'm thinking patch box cover. It would have been inletted into the buttstock. Monty

Upvote 0
I think that you might be on track with a pipe top/lid, but it could possibly be a cap or top to a inkwell. that could explain the rivet/hinged areas if the entire assembly was of the same material and this part just got detatched.

Upvote 0
Bergie,

Hey buddy, how you doing? Nice find! Patch, snuff, ball box cover? Hard to know exactly. Give me a shout this fall and we'll do some foundations over here in CT. I got to stay out of the woods during the warm weather (hayfever). Joe

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back