returned to the old school today

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
well it was a killer day today so i decided to return to the school i started hunting last weekend. i think the advice free, lonewolf and the others gave me is true.....it must be hunted out of old silver. i found a ton of clad but not one pre 64 silver coin.i did dig one 1948 wheat cent though but that was the oldest one. heres the rundown for today

1- 1948 WHEAT CENT
10 - WASHINGTON QUARTERS
24- ROOSEVELT DIMES
3- JEFFERSON NICKLES
17-MEMORIAL CENTS

one other thing i noticed about this particular school...it is absolutely loaded with dimes! kids must throw them at each other! i am going to finish hunting the school even if the silver isn't showing up.at the very least it is loaded with clad.i still have about 60% of the school yard to go so maybe i will get lucky yet.thanks for all the good advise you guys gave last week.i did try hunting close to the foundation and in spots others may have overlooked,and i will continue to do so when i go back. thats all for now!!

Upvote 0
hey matt! i use an ace 250. i dont think this school has been hunted in a while,but i think it was hunted in the 60s or 70s. that would explain the lack of silver and the abundance of clad.it was built in 1932 so one would think there would be some silver there,or at least some more wheats.there sure does seem to be a lot of clad there though.

Hollow, start looking for spots that other detectorists might pass up. I find that once you get off the playground areas and get into the ballfieilds or aound old trees at the edges of schoolyards, the coins start geting older. I think most MDers hunt the playgrounds and jungle gym areas, so most might pass up paths or grassy areas away from where the kids play at recess. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back