Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out for a hunt after dinner and found the sports field occupied, so I went over to the trail beyond the field and I'm very glad I did. The first relic dug - a 1766 Hibernia half penny. The finds just kept coming and after an hour and a half I had 2 escutcheon plates, 2 buttons (one of which is a large tombac), a musketball, rivet, harmonica reed, part to an old ruler, and some decorative copper.
IMG_7880.JPGIMG_7883 (2).JPGIMG_7889.JPGIMG_7886.JPGIMG_7882.JPGIMG_7881.JPG

Thanks to research by others, the two pieces I've identified as escutcheons are actually parts to colonial-era saddle strap guides.

Last edited:
Upvote 11
Man those are some awesome old relics. I like it all. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Nice finds McCdig. I like that Half Penny and the button. Good thing your sports field was in use, and you went off the "beaten path".

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Great finds cant wait to see your end of the years total your doing great. Good to see. Tommy

Thanks Trezurehunter! I've been gridding the sidelines of the sports field and pretty much digging anything that sounds different from rusted iron. If the field had not been in use, it's unlikely that I would have gone to the trail. Now that I've found those items in the open area, I am very interested to hit the woods either side of the path.

Nice finds! :occasion14:

Awesome hunt, great half penny save, nice buttons & very cool save on the guides, congrats on all & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back