Redware Pottery Pig Canteen?

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, My wife just found this at a local thrift store for $14.99. It is redware pottery with a dark brown glaze. It is 8 inches long and 6 1/2 inches tall. There is a small hole in the knob on the top in front and a bigger opening on the knob on the top in the back. Is it a canteen? Any ideas on maker or age? Is it worth 2.4 Million dollars?
tongue3.gif
It is also posted in "What is It Forum". I got no responses so thought I would try here. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2059.JPG
    IMG_2059.JPG
    798.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2060.JPG
    IMG_2060.JPG
    1,006.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2061.JPG
    IMG_2061.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2063.JPG
    IMG_2063.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
Thanks diggumup! That looks close but not quite the same. Same type of glaze. It is a cool piece. I don't know if it's a keeper or moving on. Thanks Again.

The nose holes don't go all the way through. It has a small hole in the front top knob and a much bigger one at the rear on top.

I don't know what you got there? It was either made in more recent times or it could be a true antique? The stoneware pigs you really wanna find were made by Anna pottery. Those are big bucks and who knows maybe I'll see one in the thrift store someday. I'm betting your pig will make you money, if you go to sell it.

Attachments

Last edited:
I thought maybe the nose holes were false ones. It's truly a OOAK piece. If you list it let me know, I like it. But then the wife's family raised hogs for many years in N. Miami, before the urban sprawl took over down here. So we have a few pigs in the collection already.

It looks to be a recent (50 years) folk art pottery jug. Looks like a straw was used to cut the nose holes. Even as an unsigned piece very collectible. Definitely an eBay auction piece. Where it ends up????

I think they used to pour hot water in these an use them as foot warmers. this one looks awesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back