🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Recognize anything here?

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I go on a hunt. I dump out the junk from the previous hunt into a bag. This is junk from July and August. (I took out the bottle caps and pull tabs) Is there anything I shouldn’t throw out? Or is anything older than I think it is? (I might keep the pocket knife and harmonica cover) I can take close ups of anything If needed.
The close up is just a rock right? Not a piece of flint from firearm
3678A065-0B48-422F-A32B-272CA7D7B02B.jpeg

71380F16-3F6A-4490-85A9-DBEF82DED943.jpeg

4BF58ED7-07CA-45BF-B52B-88CCB4DA49AD.jpeg
7BBD7FB6-D7B9-4FD7-AFDA-491B8661BEBD.jpeg

Every time I go on a hunt. I dump out the junk from the previous hunt into a bag. This is junk from July and August. (I took out the bottle caps and pull tabs) Is there anything I shouldn’t throw out? Or is anything older than I think it is? (I might keep the pocket knife and harmonica cover) I can take close ups of anything If needed.
View attachment 2102610
View attachment 2102612
View attachment 2102613View attachment 2102611
I guess you could clean some potentials and than you could see what they reveal if you want to toss or keep

Upvote 2
View attachment 2102610
View attachment 2102612
I’d keep iron harness ring, but that’s just me-I’m a sucker for horse tac.

Upvote 0
I was referring to top row, middle. Fairly sure it’s an iron harness ring although someone may correct me. I’d keep the buckle to, I’m thing that is horse tac also.
top middle is the green square right? So red circle?
8062F56E-E4DB-420E-BA42-AD5E7F1B16DF.jpeg

Yeah I think the buckle belongs to horsey. It’s too small for a person I believe.

Upvote 1
View attachment 2102822

Yeah I think the buckle belongs to horsey. It’s too small for a person I believe.
Yes correct! I also strongly agree that the buckle is horse tac. I’ll take that all day👍
View attachment 2102822

Upvote 0
View attachment 2102822

Yeah I think the buckle belongs to horsey. It’s too small for a person I
Yes correct! I also strongly agree that the buckle is horse tac. I’ll take that all day👍
Also wondering, if I’m that same section if you have the top to a compact and a collar stud/rivet. Sorry for the lack of graphics where I could mark what I was seeing.

Upvote 0
View attachment 2102610
View attachment 2102612
Top middle photo (bottom left position) is the hinge from a boxwood folding ruler. Same photo center top is the candle thumb ejector from a chamberstick. There’s also a harmonica reed plate there too in that photo. All those items are 1800s but the thumb ejector is probably mid-1800s

Upvote 1
Also wondering, if I’m that same section if you have the top to a compact and a collar stud/rivet. Sorry for the lack of graphics where I could mark what I was seeing.
The 2 round things?
A76AFF07-F589-4276-9B9A-26DB5811CBD2.jpeg

Top middle photo (bottom left position) is the hinge from a boxwood folding ruler. Same photo center top is the candle thumb ejector from a chamberstick. There’s also a harmonica reed plate there too in that photo. All those items are 1800s but the thumb ejector is probably mid-1800s
A little lost, but here is a close up of of the middle top paper. The big picture is just one picture but there are 6 pieces of paper. Not sure if it’s making it look like separate photos.
0704F53F-35A2-4662-AB19-32EF0F045B7F.jpeg

Here is also the same big photo with numbers for the sections of paper. If I’m not in the right place with the close up. This is why I usually number all my finds in photos, but it just would have been too much for this lot.
F922798F-3CB0-49B1-BBC0-199CA7430C4B.jpeg

Upvote 0
View attachment 2102610
View attachment 2102612
You definitely opened a can of worms with that question! Everyone has a different perspective on what treasure is. Personally I'd keep the shotgun shells. I clean them and place them in frames along with the date range for each one . It makes for a cool display. I also keep all square nails and drive them into a tree stump in the yard . Surprisingly it is kinda neat !

Upvote 1
For the ammo casings better give them a clean up and post headstamps so we can give a exact answer like ammo type and manufature date (if possible), now I can only tell you that the smallest casing and the small live round is .22lr, those things at top of the part five are rotten shot shells likely 12 gauge shells and on the bottom of the part 5 the third casing from left to right seems like a .30-06SPRG casing. Again I need to see the HEADSTAMPS in order to help you identify them.

Upvote 0
The 2 round things?
View attachment 2102882

A little lost, but here is a close up of of the middle top paper. The big picture is just one picture but there are 6 pieces of paper. Not sure if it’s making it look like separate photos.
View attachment 2102883
Here is also the same big photo with numbers for the sections of paper. If I’m not in the right place with the close up. This is why I usually number all my finds in photos, but it just would have been too much for this lot.
View attachment 2102884
Photo 2 bottom left ruler hinge
Photo 2 middle ejector knob
Photo 2 3rd up from the left harmonica reed plate.

Upvote 0
so Red is ruler hinge
yellow is a candle thumb ejector from a chamberstick
green is a harmonica reed plate. which i knew but i dont keep them unless they are complete, its probably from the same harmonica as the cover plate above it. since from they are from the same site.
but the yellow ejector knob (which i thought was a drawer pull) when you said...
All those items are 1800s but the thumb ejector is probably mid-1800s
did you mean mid 1700's? it just seemed weird how you worded that.
Inked0704F53F-35A2-4662-AB19-32EF0F045B7F.jpg

Thanks BuckleBoy!

Upvote 0
For the ammo casings better give them a clean up and post headstamps so we can give a exact answer like ammo type and manufature date (if possible), now I can only tell you that the smallest casing and the small live round is .22lr, those things at top of the part five are rotten shot shells likely 12 gauge shells and on the bottom of the part 5 the third casing from left to right seems like a .30-06SPRG casing. Again I need to see the HEADSTAMPS in order to help you identify them.
But nothing is pre 1900 right? Not sure when the center fire casing was developed? I always considered it modern. But im from Maine and the woods are full of spent casings. I almost never keep a brass casing like these. If they are not historic or valuable i dont see the point. I guess you could save them for you entire life of metal detecting. Then go to the scrap yard and trade them in for your retirement. The .22 is by far the shell i find the most as a live round. Almost every time when i go into the woods. Not sure if its because they are so cheap compared to bigger calibers. So when someone drops one while reloading they say screw it. Or because of their size easier to fumble and harder to see when they hit the ground.
This picture isnt meant for id'ing individual casings, ( i didnt clean them) just to show you they are all center fire. If you think any are old, i will clean them up and post a better pic.
63A4C0AE-0A2D-4B26-BB16-F882AF0E263F.jpeg

Upvote 0
so Red is ruler hinge
yellow is a candle thumb ejector from a chamberstick
green is a harmonica reed plate. which i knew but i dont keep them unless they are complete, its probably from the same harmonica as the cover plate above it. since from they are from the same site.
but the yellow ejector knob (which i thought was a drawer pull) when you said...

did you mean mid 1700's? it just seemed weird how you worded that.
View attachment 2102914
Thanks BuckleBoy!
correct. Most items shown are late 1800s but the ejector is mid. Kerosine replaced most of those things by the 1850s. It was cheaper, brighter, portable, and didn’t require cleaning up wax. PS what does the harmonica scale say? I like those things. They can usually be cleaned with aluminum jelly or naval jelly (they’re very thin and fragile) and usually come out pretty well.

Cheers,

Upvote 0
correct. Most items shown are late 1800s but the ejector is mid. Kerosine replaced most of those things by the 1850s. It was cheaper, brighter, portable, and didn’t require cleaning up wax. PS what does the harmonica scale say? I like those things. They can usually be cleaned with aluminum jelly or naval jelly (they’re very thin and fragile) and usually come out pretty well.

Cheers,
Says " Made in Germany Marine Band M horner US pat Aug 2x 1897"
E02406C5-B4BD-4AAA-8E93-0C21BF803519.jpeg

Sorta like this one. But not exactly, the lettering is a little off.
Screenshot (137).png

How has the Hohner Marine Band changed over the years

Upvote 1
But nothing is pre 1900 right? Not sure when the center fire casing was developed? I always considered it modern. But im from Maine and the woods are full of spent casings. I almost never keep a brass casing like these. If they are not historic or valuable i dont see the point. I guess you could save them for you entire life of metal detecting. Then go to the scrap yard and trade them in for your retirement. The .22 is by far the shell i find the most as a live round. Almost every time when i go into the woods. Not sure if its because they are so cheap compared to bigger calibers. So when someone drops one while reloading they say screw it. Or because of their size easier to fumble and harder to see when they hit the ground.
This picture isnt meant for id'ing individual casings, ( i didnt clean them) just to show you they are all center fire. If you think any are old, i will clean them up and post a better pic.
View attachment 2102918
Not really, the earliest centerfire with date on I can find is 1869 but in your case unfortunately yes, I think they all are after 1900 likely 1916-1945 or even more modern.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back