Recently discovered early home site yields rare button and many other early 1800s relics and Native American artifacts

Chief31

Jul 10, 2022
Was hunting one of my permissions (500 acre historical farm in Central Virginia. Finds had dwindled in the area I was spending the most time (near a very old cemetery an 1600s house site ) so I decided to go across the farm to an entirely new section , noticed a small knoll up in the field and gave that a try. Starting hearing iron so knew I was likely in a good spot. Within 5 minutes dug the old smokehouse lock! Then a minute later out came the VA one piece with Scottsville Extra Rich backmark which apparently is a pretty rare variant of this button so I was really excited and blood was pumping. Signals then started popping so I knew I found another house site or outbuilding site which was had never been discovered . Had a great few hours before dark digging some eagle buttons decorative buttons. Decided to drive around farm and saw another area which had been eroded with nice sandy soil up on a hill in field , no detecting targets but within 5 minutes found the 2 gorgeous arrowheads and looks like Native American pottery just lying on the surface. I love metal detecting but finding the Native American artifacts just laying on the ground was quite a rush as well , may need to spend some time doing that as well. Incredible history of all centuries at this property. .

Attachments

• IMG_6637.jpeg
    IMG_6637.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6640.jpeg
    IMG_6640.jpeg
    983 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6641.jpeg
    IMG_6641.jpeg
    712.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6639.jpeg
    IMG_6639.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6638.jpeg
    IMG_6638.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6644.jpeg
    IMG_6644.jpeg
    727.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6643.jpeg
    IMG_6643.jpeg
    752.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6645.jpeg
    IMG_6645.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6620.jpeg
    IMG_6620.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6624.jpeg
    IMG_6624.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6626.jpeg
    IMG_6626.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
Upvote 21
"I knew I found another house site or outbuilding site which was had never been discovered ."

Now that even gets my blood pumping! That's one h*ll of a day. Those buttons are amazing to say the least.
Congrats on the arrowheads and lock too.
What is the item on the far left with the old wood attached? Utensil handle? Pocket knife?
Thanks for the great post and photos. :icon_thumright:
MM

Outstanding finds and permission too! Really love the buttons. Buttons are my favorite things to find.

Congratulations on sharing those beautiful quartz points and buttons! Your on a great site! Stick with it and good luck on each hunt you make!

Congrats on the buttons and points.
Great that you got another site on the same permission.

"I knew I found another house site or outbuilding site which was had never been discovered ."

Now that even gets my blood pumping! That's one h*ll of a day. Those buttons are amazing to say the least.
Congrats on the arrowheads and lock too.
What is the item on the far left with the old wood attached? Utensil handle? Pocket knife?
Thanks for the great post and photos. :icon_thumright:
MM
It’s a pocket knife

Was hunting one of my permissions (500 acre historical farm in Central Virginia. Finds had dwindled in the area I was spending the most time (near a very old cemetery an 1600s house site ) so I decided to go across the farm to an entirely new section , noticed a small knoll up in the field and gave that a try. Starting hearing iron so knew I was likely in a good spot. Within 5 minutes dug the old smokehouse lock! Then a minute later out came the VA one piece with Scottsville Extra Rich backmark which apparently is a pretty rare variant of this button so I was really excited and blood was pumping. Signals then started popping so I knew I found another house site or outbuilding site which was had never been discovered . Had a great few hours before dark digging some eagle buttons decorative buttons. Decided to drive around farm and saw another area which had been eroded with nice sandy soil up on a hill in field , no detecting targets but within 5 minutes found the 2 gorgeous arrowheads and looks like Native American pottery just lying on the surface. I love metal detecting but finding the Native American artifacts just laying on the ground was quite a rush as well , may need to spend some time doing that as well. Incredible history of all centuries at this property. .
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

very nice finds.

in some fields I hunt for Indian arrowheads, the only area I fund them are where the old structures stood.

I suspect the area surrounding this had relics but those had been found. many years later the structures had collapsed and the area plowed, exposing the relics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back