Recent & Weekend Finds; WWI era collar disc, old ring, scabbarb?

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been hitting parks and wooded areas. Parks haven't been coughing up much more than the usual wheaties and a couple Indians lately (not pictured, still caked with dirt). Here's the recap of the various finds from the past few hunts.

A DC souvenir bracelet and a 1922 Pittsburgh Railways Token.
2020-03-02_00.20.00.jpg

Saturday I did a wooded area as a roll of the dice. I got something resembling a scabbarb, 1921 Utility pole tag?, and a 1942 GW (15th silver coin of the year).
2020-03-01_23.36.57.jpg2020-03-01_23.37.32.jpg

Today I met up with pa-dirt_nc-sand. The first 2 areas of interest were mostly busts. We then went to an old foundation wooded area as a last resort which ended up working out to salvage the morning. Look for his post later, he scored some sweet keepers. The WWI collar disc was found last weekend but the rest in this pic was found today. The ring was a VDI 19, any crud and tarnish comes off but there's no visible stamp. I'm not sure if it's silver or junk jewelry at the moment.
2020-03-01_23.36.31.jpg
2020-03-01_23.34.43.jpg2020-03-01_23.35.49.jpg

Thanks for looking, good luck to all. Any comments are welcome.

Upvote 8
Not sure if your ring is the same as the many rings and other items items I have found that is what I call "mystery metal".

Some weird 20's metal... which I read many things on and speculations... some German made stuff... just cannot remember name.

Anyway... still have the pieces in hopes they turn out one day to be worth something.

Nice WW1 collar disk and other finds. I think your ring is silver perhaps custom made. Sometimes smaller thin silver rings will read lower than the normal high tones one would expect for silver finds. If it is European it could also have a lower silver fineness. I know older German silver jewelry was 800 or 835 fine silver.

What is the blue stone on the side of the ring? There appears to be clear stones on the side. Can you show?

Nice grouping of finds and silver 15 keeps you on pace for a great year with your Nox. I think the ring is silver. You could take a piece of aluminum foil, 2”x2”, spit on the shiny side and very gently rub the ring. This will take more tarnish off and if it smells like rotten eggs you have silver, if no smell at all then most likely junk metal. Your knowledge of the city woods is amazing, crazy that you knew of multiple cellars literally a 3 minute drive from our second bust site. Congrats!

Great little hunt you had, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

What is the blue stone on the side of the ring? There appears to be clear stones on the side. Can you show?

The clear middle stone has a faint 8 pointed star. It's hard to get a picture of it.
2020-03-02_20.33.15.jpg

The blue and white side inlays don't seem like stones. Looks very old imo. The ring was likely next to some iron, i knocked some rusty crust off it already.
2020-03-02_20.20.24.jpg2020-03-02_20.19.54.jpg

The "scabbard" is for a letter opener.

Yeah I got some words mixed up. Trying to figure out what it is 👍

Nice grouping of finds and silver 15 keeps you on pace for a great year with your Nox. I think the ring is silver. You could take a piece of aluminum foil, 2”x2”, spit on the shiny side and very gently rub the ring. This will take more tarnish off and if it smells like rotten eggs you have silver, if no smell at all then most likely junk metal. Your knowledge of the city woods is amazing, crazy that you knew of multiple cellars literally a 3 minute drive from our second bust site. Congrats!

We should've went there at 7am instead 😂

The Nox really opens up some of these wildcard sites I have on my list. I did the foil test and got a funk hint of rotten eggs. The tarnish came off in the small area I rubbed.

Last edited:
Nice WW1 collar disk and other finds. I think your ring is silver perhaps custom made. Sometimes smaller thin silver rings will read lower than the normal high tones one would expect for silver finds. If it is European it could also have a lower silver fineness. I know older German silver jewelry was 800 or 835 fine silver.

Good info, thanks!

Nice collar disc I love the RR token I love RR related items that sheath is really cool too wow I need a hunt like that. Thanks for sharing. Well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back