Recent auction find

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Spending the winter in southern Alabama and decided to hit some local estate auctions to see what turned up. Found this for $135 plus 10% buyers fee. Looks to be completely original and the belt is very stiff and cracked from age but the back side of the leather is worn smooth from rubbing against clothing as it should be. I was a little concerned that the lead backing hadn't turned white like most I see posted on here but keeping in mind that this was never in the ground that may not be an issue. What's the opinion of the experts ? Thanks and HH.

Attachments

• belt buckle-1.jpg
    belt buckle-1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 787
  • belt buckle-2.jpg
    belt buckle-2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 785
Upvote 0
while not any thing close to being an expert.I would say you got the real Mccoy,would you like your money back ? congratulations

billn1956 said:
while not any thing close to being an expert.I would say you got the real Mccoy,would you like your money back ? congratulations
Thanks Bill. I think I'll keep it though. A couple of members who know a bit about this stuff have advised me that the buckle looks to be the real deal but the belt, probably not. I'm still waiting for more opinions. I work with leather and do a bit of hand carving and have made alot of belts over the past 40 years or so. This leather has the look and feel of being very old. It's one of those things you can't really show in a picture though. I'm hoping to find someone who is an expert with these things that can look at it in person. That make take years but it's not going anywhere. Thanks

MichaelB said:
Bandit, was this at the Howard Bonds auction in Baldwin County, AL?

MichaelB
3-4 weeks ago on Rt 90. Falling down house with junk cars & boats in the yard ? If so yes. Were you there ? We had a family emergency and are on our way back to New Hampshire at the moment. Sure was hard to leave to halfway decent weather & head back to 2' of snow and more expected for tomorrow but we'll be going back to Alabama asap.

O2BINLA(lower ala);Had a friend that had this as a personalized tag.Your plate and belt look like the real deal.Why would anyone go to the trouble of counterfeiting a US buckle? Good find!DBULL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back