Real gold coin?

JasonL2972

May 8, 2005
sterling CT
I found this today in another piano at work,along with a couple other old coins.It says 1859 on the front,but nothing about "united states" or anything.On the back it just says "california gold".It doesn't show in the pictures but it is still very shiny and more gold colored.It looks like a real coin,but i have never seen one like it.Anybody know anything about it?Is it real?what may it be worth?

Attachments

• gold coin.jpg
    gold coin.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 572
  • gold coin2.jpg
    gold coin2.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 569
  • gold coin1.jpg
    gold coin1.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 570
Forgot to mention,i have done no cleaning to the coin,it looked as good and clean,shinning,as the day it was made.Also it was found with a few other coins ranging in date from 1850's to the early 1900's,all lost in a piano.One more thing,its thinner then a modern dime,if any of this info helps.

Upvote 0
thanks SC-Hunter.Those are very similiar to what i have,the back is different on mine from the ones i was able to find.But you've put me on thr right track to finding it out.What i can't tell is the amount my coin was supposed to be worth at its time.Doesn't say anywhere on it if its a 50c ,25c,or what it is.I'll have to keep searching.Think i found somethin good finally though!!!!

Upvote 0
Try some larger pics. Does it say United States of America on the coin? That's key to it being a US minted coin.

Daryl

Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
Try some larger pics. Does it say United States of America on the coin? That's key to it being a US minted coin.

Daryl
I'll try to get some larger pics on in a few.Doesn't say united states anywhere.Thinking now it might be a california fractional coin,but not sure what denomination.

Upvote 0
California did mint their own coinage but I'm not familiar with what it said on both sides. Takes US coinage out of the picture though.

Daryl

Upvote 0
The shape on these is a little different but how is the language and bust?

Daryl

Attachments

• CalGold2.jpg
    CalGold2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 571
  • CalGold1.jpg
    CalGold1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 582
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
The shape on these is a little different but how is the language and bust?

Daryl
That looks to be the same lady on the front.The back has the same "california gold" on it,just written straight across,but no amount on mine.

Upvote 0
If there is no demonination, it moves us closer to a type of commemorative or souvenier. Like the coins made by Mel fisher from silver from the Atocha. these coins could just be made from California gold and are worth the bullion amount and no dollar amount.

Daryl

Upvote 0
Judging from the picture and the lack of denomination, I'd say no its not a coin. oops, I see Angelo posted a token site that has it- there ya go, its a token. ;)

Upvote 0
angelo thats looks exactly like what i have.Ok,so its a token then.So i should call the boss back and say i was only kidding and i'll be back at work bright and early tommorrow.
It doesn't mention any kind of value it has.If its real gold i guess its worth its weight.Still a great find for me,i was on cloud nine today,but i guess i won't be payin any bills off to soon or makin the banner.
Thankyou to all in helping figure this one out,you guys are fast and great.Thanks again

Upvote 0
NICE FIND gold or not. Ill take a find like that anyday.
The piano may have been in a gambling establishment. What other coins were with it?

Upvote 0
It could be a coin, but it also could be a gold piece from a early bank in CA. A lot of places would buy gold, melt it into bars, ingots, blanks, etc, stamp it with their name or logo, and ship it back to the east to be sold. I'd say weigh it, if it weights something like...10th, 1/4th, 1/2, etc of an ounce, it could very well be be one of these pieces.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back