York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
My rarest CoinStar find yet!

.:: 111th Recovery ::.
tn_coinstar_0111.gif

Three-Cent Nickel

Wow! It's amazing to me that someone would just dump that into a change machine.

That's a jaw-dropper! Beats my oldest by over 40 years.

Edit: And just to be pedantic, it's not the "rarest" (fewest in existence) you've found, and not by far.

There were over 11 million 1865 thrickles made. Just a brief look thru your past finds shows a 1988 Bermudan 25 cents of which only 600,000 were minted.

Last edited:
...And just to be pedantic, it's not the "rarest" (fewest in existence) you've found, and not by far...
tn_metal_detector.gif
Meant the "rarest" CoinStar find for me (based on age). Yuppa on its value though...

Whoever dumped it probably thought it was a foreign coin.

And I thought I was doing good to find two mercs in one month. That is unbelievable great find. I always wondered how many silver or old valuable coins the coinstar warehouses find when they come back off their routes.

And I thought I was doing good to find two mercs in one month. That is unbelievable great find. I always wondered how many silver or old valuable coins the coinstar warehouses find when they come back off their routes.
And other stuff too. I've looked down through the feed hopper and have seen earrings, chains, and all sorts of other stuff that fell through the holes. When I've seen them open the machine's door, it looks like coin rolls exploded in there sometimes. Coins scattered everywhere.

And other stuff too. I've looked down through the feed hopper and have seen earrings, chains, and all sorts of other stuff that fell through the holes. When I've seen them open the machine's door, it looks like coin rolls exploded in there sometimes. Coins scattered everywhere.
I ask a coinstar guy servicing a machine if he gets to keep stuff and he kind of smiled and said no, he is too busy. Heck that would be tempting but I am sure coinstar corporate and a lot of procedures in place to prevent such activities of their service people.

And you just have to know that the management back at the collection centers know the value of silver and old coins. Funny thing it seems coinstar does not have much competition. Publix uses another type of coin machine about half the size of constart. I mostly see coinstar machines in Kroger stores. Best kroger stores area in the lower cost housing neighborhoods or areas with lots of apartments.

in north metro Atlanta areas with $500,000 Plus homes and gated communities, coinstar finds are not as good.

I want to be a coin star guy. Will even work holidays......please?

I ask a coinstar guy servicing a machine if he gets to keep stuff and he kind of smiled and said no, he is too busy. Heck that would be tempting but I am sure coinstar corporate and a lot of procedures in place to prevent such activities of their service people.

And you just have to know that the management back at the collection centers know the value of silver and old coins. Funny thing it seems coinstar does not have much competition. Publix uses another type of coin machine about half the size of constart. I mostly see coinstar machines in Kroger stores. Best kroger stores area in the lower cost housing neighborhoods or areas with lots of apartments.

in north metro Atlanta areas with $500,000 Plus homes and gated communities, coinstar finds are not as good.
Speaking of Publix Pulltab, two years ago I told my daughter about checking conversion machines. Next day she was walking away from the checkout, saw something in the reject tray, grabbed it and left. When she got to the car she looked in her hand, and saw a 1923 Peace dollar, and an 1892 Mexican 8 reale. It’s all about timing.

Speaking of Publix Pulltab, two years ago I told my daughter about checking conversion machines. Next day she was walking away from the checkout, saw something in the reject tray, grabbed it and left. When she got to the car she looked in her hand, and saw a 1923 Peace dollar, and an 1892 Mexican 8 reale. It’s all about timing.
That is a rare find on those publix machines. The reject cup sticks out further and not recessed like the ones on the Coinstar machines. So the rejected coins are more visible to the depositor and the general public walking by. You are right about the timing.

That is a rare find on those publix machines. The reject cup sticks out further and not recessed like the ones on the Coinstar machines. So the rejected coins are more visible to the depositor and the general public walking by. You are right about the timing.

Attachments

• IMG_5341.jpeg
    IMG_5341.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Great recovery. Congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back