Rare Virginia militia belt plate(unfortunately only half)

Gregg3131

May 24, 2015
Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Limited Edition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0035-1.jpg
    IMG_0035-1.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0034-1.jpg
    IMG_0034-1.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 105
  • FB_IMG_1493861415294.jpg
    FB_IMG_1493861415294.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 20
Awesome find...congrats, maybe you can find the other half ,good luck.

Though just half that's a real nice find

Wow. Just wow. heartbreaker, but how many people have ever found even HALF?!

http://www.blockaderunner.com/images/Cw23.jpg

CW-23 $24.95 BUY NOW!
VIRGINIA BELT PLATE, ENGLISH MANUFACTURE
CIRCA: 1861-1865

As DCMatt stated in the other thread, it seems to be English made from 1861-1865. Here is a reproduction site. Hope this helps.

They must be pretty rare. I have looked for some time and can only come up with replicas. Gregg3131, you might want to think about having it evaluated. Even though it is in pretty bad shape, it is still recognizable and may still have some value. Even if it doesn't I think it is still a magnificent find!

Something else just popped in my head. I wonder if it could have been a part of a burn pit where they burned bloodied clothing or something. There may be a ton of other stuff like buttons in close proximity to that spot. Can you remember where that spot was exactly to try to hit it again?

Thanks for the comments. Only reference book that carries it states it 1870s and indeed a rare plate although I do see the other site listing it as 1861 to 1865. Owner of Hanover Brass thinks post war too. Yes it was definitely in a fire and interestingly enough was found at a civil war hospital but have yet to find anything else there. Based on where it was found was hoping it's war period but it may be post but not 100% on it yet. I am crossing fingers it's period although happy with it regardless

I would be happy with it too. I would hunt that area low and slow until I dropped from exhaustion. Especially if it is a known CW hospital area. I hope you get back out there. I have hunted around Richmond a few times and have found some decent things. Nothing like that though. One of these days I will find my first plate.... Hope, hope, hope.....

Awesome find! I am likely wrong but I would think that it is period, otherwise why would you have found it at a known Civil War Hospital site??!! Also, it appears that besides fire damage, it suffered a shrapnel or bullet hit and the other 1/3rd is likely still on the battlefield. If that is what happened, then it likely did not fair well for the soldier wearing it!

Frank

Yep so far no other goodies at this spot but will keep at it.

Found a Georgia Frame buckle about 50 feet from this last week

Very nice relic recovery! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back