Rain stick found at thrift store

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BA173FFD-808D-4C87-BF01-B6489312E4BB.jpeg

BD18117E-306A-4D43-813C-7E6914F8C86A.jpeg

I found this at a thrift store in Twin Falls, Idaho. It appears to be a rain stick.

It has a very interesting sound, almost like rain falling. I guess that’s why they called a rain stick, then.

Anyway, I’m not sure if this is an authentic Native American rain stick or not. I’m currently doing research to try to figure it out.

Regardless, it’s a pretty interesting find.

Let me know what you think of it.

Upvote 13
Love the way they sound. I still have one my grandparents gave me when I was a kid (in the 90s) Can't authenticate yours but it looks similar to mine. It has a glossy finish.

They've been around for a long time.
The Mrs bought hers over 30 yrs ago. She said Sai that she must of tried 50 before buying this one.
Humidity fluctuations makes the needles work out.
As you probably have felt.
Some have beans and rice. Different beans produce different sounds off the needles that are driven into the cactus stock.
20230523_204105.jpg

Congrats! What is a rain stick & how was it used? Was it to summon the rain? Thanks.

View attachment 2085282

View attachment 2085283

I found this at a thrift store in Twin Falls, Idaho. It appears to be a rain stick.

It has a very interesting sound, almost like rain falling. I guess that’s why they called a rain stick, then.

Anyway, I’m not sure if this is an authentic Native American rain stick or not. I’m currently doing research to try to figure it out.

Cool Find!!! That’s My Birth City!! Miss Twin!!

Pretty cool. I lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico for 35 years. They sell all over the place in tourist shops in areas like Old Town in Albuquerque and the Governors Square in Santa Fe. They have festivals every year and my two favorites are the Indian Festival where they have lots of cool art that they sell and flutes, rain sticks, turquoise jewelry, etc. All made by Native Americans from a lot of the different tribes and the Spanish Festival which has lots of Day of the Dead and some really cool Santos (Saints) carved out of wood. I loved living there and can't wait until I get to move back 😎

Still a pretty cool find :)

Thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate it.

After doing some research, I can’t authenticate whether it is really Native American made or not. I am continuing to research.

Regardless, it is still a cool find. I plan on using it for some Zen music compositions. I do music composition on the side.

Cool Find!!! That’s My Birth City!! Miss Twin!!

I actually live about 40 minutes from Twin Falls. I go in pretty frequently for doctors appointments, shopping, etc. it’s a good place to do errands.

After doing some research, I can’t authenticate whether it is really Native American made or not. I am continuing to research.

Regardless, it is still a cool find. I plan on using it for some Zen music compositions. I do music composition on the side.

I actually live about 40 minutes from Twin Falls. I go in pretty frequently for doctors appointments, shopping, etc. it’s a good place to do errands.
As others have implied, looks to be a modern tourist piece. Whether it was or wasn't made by a Native American, that's what it is. The 'made by' bit is a red herring as to whether it was used in a traditional cultural way.

As others have implied, looks to be a modern tourist piece. Whether it was or wasn't made by a Native American, that's what it is. The 'made by' bit is a red herring as to whether it was used in a traditional cultural way.

Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it.

I’d Love to detect some old places I remember there😁

Odds are it was not native made, had one a couple times and seen them over the years, none were made by Native Americans, India makes them by 10s of thousands and ship them world wide.

View attachment 2085282

View attachment 2085283

dad was from Hansen back in the day. Twin has grown a lot!

I plan on using it for some Zen music compositions.

This is beyond my wildest expectations for your find and this thread. I just realized that I would also like to make some zen music compositions. I sat in a field in the rain today laughing and digging up broken bottles, so I feel like I am ready.

This is beyond my wildest expectations for your find and this thread. I just realized that I would also like to make some zen music compositions. I sat in a field in the rain today laughing and digging up broken bottles, so I feel like I am ready.

Music composition is one of my hobbies. I like to try making baroque style pieces.

I decided to expand my horizons and try zen music. This rain stick may be very useful in the zen music ideas I have.

I think it's still a good deal. Especially for the purpose you picked it up for. It's always good to be able to express what you feel in your heart by what you can create with sound. I also play music and have a lot of guitars and while I was staying in New Mexico I picked up a couple Native American flutes to learn how to play them. Music is good 👍
Music composition is one of my hobbies. I like to try making baroque style pieces.

I decided to expand my horizons and try zen music. This rain stick may be very useful in the zen music ideas I have.

Attachments

• 20230526_052018.jpg
    20230526_052018.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back