sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this the other day and can't figure out what it is. I know it's a long shot, but if anyone can figure it out it's a Tnet member. It's similar to railroad baggage tags that I have found in the past, but there is no number on it and I can not conclude what "U of N" stands for. Thank you for any opinions.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503309560.710999.jpg

It may be worth cleaning the very top where the makers mark would usually be to see if it matches known makers: Baggage Check Makers
It may help locate a match with information about it.

Upvote 0
I found a RR tag and got it IDed on here also RR historical society is very helpful..Sweet find

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It may be worth cleaning the very top where the makers mark would usually be to see if it matches known makers: Baggage Check Makers
It may help locate a match with information about it.

Well, I cleaned it well enough to see that there is no writing on the top. It was worth a shot though.

Upvote 0
No idea...you say U of N and I immediately start thinking University of Nebraska, but I really doubt that is it. No matter what, it's a cool old find.
Occam's razor. Why not? Not like it wasn't around at the turn of the century. I think that's exactly what it is. A fob from the Univ. of Nebraska.

https://books.google.com/books?id=a...IRjAG#v=onepage&q="U of N" stands for&f=false

A google search reveals a few hits from the Daily Nebraskan (@ turn of century) for U of N watch fobs... https://www.google.com/search?newwi...0....0...1.1j2.64.psy-ab..0.1.136.AfqhziEE6Vc

Upvote 0
Based on the OP's location I was thinking "University of Nevada" - It was founded at Reno in the 1800s and did/does use "U of N" as well.

Upvote 0
I have no idea what the U of N could stand for, but I don't think it is a watch fob or baggage tag.
There is a strap slot at the bottom that is broken.
This is similar to a buckle cover on horse tack.
Again I don't know... but maybe a direction to look...

Upvote 0
I have no idea what the U of N could stand for, but I don't think it is a watch fob or baggage tag.
There is a strap slot at the bottom that is broken.
This is similar to a buckle cover on horse tack.
Again I don't know... but maybe a direction to look...

Based on my experience with watch fobs I would tend to agree with you in that it's not a fob. Most fobs are a bit more detailed or ornate while this is just a square piece of copper. And you are also right in that there is a broken piece at the bottom that looks like it once was a slot just like on the top.

Upvote 0
Can someone show me an example of a baggage tag that does not have stamped identifiable info. on it such as the rr, the route, a number (to match to the other tag), or nothing else stamped on it that identifies it as a railroad tag?

I agree the shape isn't typical of a fob being as it has what appears to be a slotted lower portion also, but then the info. stamped on it isn't typical of a baggage tag neither. The lack of any other stamped markings tell me it could have been a painted enamel piece back in the day.

The links I provided do say "WATCH FOBS U. of N. WatchFobs, in a dozen different styles."
This is the closest I have found so far be it slightly newer if that is actually a date number....

s-l500.jpg

Antique Vintage UNIVERSITY of NEBRASKA 1908 Brass Tag - Patina - FREE S&H [1490228164-2120] - $58.50 :

Is it a watch fob? Is it a baggage tag?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back