Quick run to the field yeilded some cool finds...now what are they lol

scuba1970

Sep 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a site located in middle of a plowed field here locally that I search. Ran out today for couple hours since was plowed up and rained on within last week. I have been searching area for remnants of an old war of 1812 era blockhouse that was located in this area close or on site Im searching. It's not been located yet but I am hoping some of artifacts might be military related and mean Im closing in on site. Worse case theyre just neat pieces of history.

I've found quite a few of the smaller lead balls, a lot of the copper rivets thingy's, some buttons, and few other odds and ends. Opinions on age and what they are?

Today found:

Swan button face
Bone two hole button
two ceramic 4 hole small buttons
1 piece of cut lead
1 piece of lead made into cylinder
some type of musical reed
a fancy button with triangle in center with black hand cut stones on it
a piece of a fleur de lis
some copper rivets one w leather still in it
and a clay bead of sorts

Location is in Illinois towards St Louis MO

Attachments

• metal detected.jpg
    metal detected.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 102
  • metal detected 1.jpg
    metal detected 1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 93
  • metal detected 2.jpg
    metal detected 2.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 89
  • metal detected 3.jpg
    metal detected 3.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 96
  • metal detected 4.jpg
    metal detected 4.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 3
Looks like you've got a drawer pull there (spool-shaped object in upper left corner). The circular thing with the triangle center by your buttons looks like the remains of a rhinestone brooch. Definitely some interesting stuff there! I'd go back...

THanks for the response. The spool shape object in upper left is actually really small, its another copper rivet but still in good shape. The rhinestone object is a button also, it has a center loop in center of triangle on back. Has small black hand faceted stones or glass on it. Looks like it originally had the stones on every small circle and one directly in center. Any ideas on bird button thingy? Also any ideas what this pictured piece is off? Its copper or brass with a small rod through side. Never seen anything like before.

Attachments

• whats this.jpg
    whats this.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 82
I am fairly sure that that is a part from an umbrella and your read is from an harmonica. Looks like your onto a great spot with some good age to it.
ZDD

Thanks guys for the input, I would not have ever thought of a parasol part. Any guesses to age with these items? Haven't found any coins in this area yet to help date, but down field a ways is another site that has produced a seated 1883 dime and an 1870 indian head penny. Stuff here seems to be really ornate with not alot of trash, if you get a hit its usually something different and cool. Im using an ace 250 which I really am not liking. I get strong hits every now and then and they disappear and cant find no matter what I do...probably my settings I know but never had this much trouble with last archaic whites. I know Im probably missing a ton of items.

Very nice.Congrats.

i agree on the spool thingy being a black smiths rivet&collar for attaching leather for harness making its been used and the leather has long ago rotted away. the round deal with hole in center is a collar for the same unused, i find them in several sizes with yours appears to be medium in size, i believe they are brass.the parosol end i've found b-4 also and never knew what the hell they were, glad 4 the imfo!the bead with nole appears to a trade bead.the white buttons are common to settlers. I find them a lot of times in the fields after rains that i hunt. i am located about 50 miles to the east of you.The black one with bird on has me stumped i dont think its military but i am no expert by any means. the bullets look like drops . i like the ones that have been fired where you can see the rifling marks and flat spot where they hit that is kind of cool to me!Wish you luck on finding that blockhouse!people seemed to reuse cleared areas some settler problably settled right on top of it!!! your finds look like mine-bound to be some LCS/half-dimes/3 cent pieces showing up soon!!!looks 1810-1890's time frame. usually I'm wrong. LOL

Nice assortment of finds! Congrats! HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back