Quick Killer's Lost Virgin Silver; Or, The Lost Apache Lode

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Rereading Bob McCoy’s introduction to the Rio Grande Press Classic “beautiful” reprint of A. Hyatt Verrills’ They Found Gold!, I came across his reference to a rich prospect described in Life Among the Apaches by John C. Cremony (1868) that they also brought back into print.

I can’t agree with Bob that Cremony’s account amounts to an authentic waybill. However, it is a start and certainly worth reading. Back in the heyday of treasure magazines, several authors would have turned this into an article. In homage to those good ole days, I’ve titled this excerpt –

Quick Killer’s Lost Virgin Silver;
Or,
The Lost Apache Lode

Among those under our charge was a noted fighter named Tats-ah-das-ay-go, or the " Quick Killer." This man was feared even by the boldest of his tribe ; in fact, he had acquired among them the reputation of being a "Bough," or "Bowery Boy," and, although noted for his personal courage and prowess, was severely left to the enjoyment of his own society in time of peace. He had espoused half a dozen wives, who found it impossible to live under his capricious rule, and he was, at the time of our acquaintance, a sort of tabooed individual, to whom all paid outward respect, but entertained concealed dislike.

Tats-ah-das-ay-go paid little heed to these demonstrations. He lived alone, hunted his own game, received his own rations, and was seldom seen among his fellows. For some unaccountable reason this savage conceived a great personal regard for the writer, and was accustomed to freely recount his adventures in various parts of Mexico, Arizona and New Mexico.

According to his own narrations, which were confirmed by the testimony of his fellows, his whole life had been a tissue of sanguinary deeds. A rivulet of blood tracked the course of his history. He was a man of decided native genius, and perfect master of all sorts of Apache lures, wiles and deceits. From him I learned much of Indian character, and he seemed desirous to teach.

Tatsah-das-ay-go wore upon his body hair, which hung down below the middle of his back in a broad, thick plait, a number of silver shields, perfectly round, and with a tongue or bar in the center of each, through which passed the band of hair in such a manner as to display the shields to the greatest advantage.

The first, or upper one, was the size of a common saucer, and nearly as thick, while the next below was a little smaller, and each succeeding one still less in size, until the last and thirteenth was about twice as large as a silver dollar. Of these he was extremely vain, and never laid them aside except to comb and dress his long and luxuriant hair. These ornaments I had always believed were taken from the saddle mountings of Mexican victims, and one day I jocularly remarked:

"Did you have a hard time to acquire those spoils?"

"You mistake, Tata," he replied; "these are not spoils taken from Mexicans; but I found this silver and beat it out myself."

"Where did you find it?" I asked.

"Away down in the mountains which border the Pecos, far south from here;" adding, "I will tell you all about it. We were in the Guadalupe Mountains, and were going upon the Llano Estacado to hunt buffalo; but previous to doing this a number of us climbed the sierra [sic] to look out upon the plains and see that they were clear of Comanches. In ascending the mountain I took holdof [sic] a small bush to assist my steps, when it gave way, and I saw a bright lump of something just under the roots. Picking it up, I discovered that it was very heavy and like the pesh-lickoyee , or plata-hay, with which rich Mexicans mount their saddles. I collected a quantity, and afterwards beat it out in the shape you see. This was many years ago and I have never been there since."

I had seen enough of the mineral richness of Arizona and New Mexico to convince me that there might be some truth in this narration, but determined to wait until a favorable opportunity should occur to permit exploration. Three or four months afterward orders were received from Gen. Carleton, ordering me to "keep the country clear of Indians for the space of three hundred miles around the post."

Such an order had never before been issued to an officer in the service. It was unparalleled and altogether unique; but in obedience thereto a scout was ordered under my command, and I determined to make an exploration in the region mentioned by Tatsah-das-ay-go, and to take him with me.

In due season the party left Fort Sumner, thirty-five strong, and traveled in a zig-zag direction for several days until the Guadalupe Mountains were reached. On the succeeding day Quick Killer informed me that we were near the canon where he had found the silver, and that he would direct us to it next morning, which he did about ten o'clock the following day.

Having arrived at the canon, I left the command under the charge of the First Sergeant, and proceeded with Quick Killer for about a mile and a quarter, when he dismounted and hitched his horse to a tree, requesting me to do the same, which I did, keeping my carbine ready and placing my holster pistols in my belt.

We then ascended about three hundred feet until we reached a bold and unmistakable mineral ledge, thickly shrouded with underbrush and stunted trees. Quick Killer stopped a moment, examined the place well, and proceeded directly to a spot, which he unearthed for a few inches and displayed several magnificent specimens of virgin silver. I was satisfied, and possessing myself of a goodly lump, we retraced our steps to the command, none of whom were ever made cognizant of these occurrences.

Wood, water and grass abound in the locality, which is in western Texas, on the Pecos river [sic]; but so long as the country is held by the Apaches, this valuable region must remain entirely useless for all practical purposes.

This is but one of many experiences demonstrating the vast mineral resources of Arizona, New Mexico and Western Texas. Sonora, Chihuahua and portions of Durango are also extensively endowed with mineral wealth, but they are unavailable under present circumstances.

------- o0o --------

John C. Cremony was “INTERPRETER TO THE U. S. BOUNDARY COMMISSION, UNDER THE HON. JOHN R. BARTLETT, IN 1849, '50 AND '51, AND LATE MAJOR OF CALIFORNIA VOLUNTEER CAVALRY, OPERATING IN ARIZONA, NEW MEXICO, TEXAS AND WESTERN ARKANSAS.”

His autobiography has been reprinted many times since it was first published - including in facsimile of the rare first edition in the Time-Life Classics of the Old West. It is well worth reading. It is the history of the American West with the bark on.

This small part of it has not been edited, other than to break up some of the long 19th Century paragraphs. The modern reader generally has a shorter attention span than those who lived almost one hundred and fifty years ago.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:
Cremony's Life Among the Apaches is one of my favorites, an early Anglo source of Southwestern information not available elsewhere without deep diving.

sdcfia:

So I've now made public your secret silver lode...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back