Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been out a bunch in the past couple of months but haven't really found anything earth shattering. For the past 7 years I've strictly been researching and detecting (trying anyway) early colonial sites and ceased even looking for Civil War sites to hunt. The area where I live was heavily traversed by both sides of the Civil War and there have been major battles within mere miles of my house. That being said, there are so many Civil War relic hunters around here that I just don't really bother looking for Civil War relics anymore. That doesn't mean if an opportunity presents itself i won't try. A good friend of mine builds houses in the area and this past Sunday I saw a cleared lot with his builder sign out front and I knew the area was a good site to look for relics. I pulled into the lot an immediately hit a bunch of trash and iron. I did a quick grid of the small lot and found a couple of period civilian two-piece buttons but not much else. I decided to hunt along the road back to my car and got an overload signal and dug it in spite of the fact that I already had dug a handful of aluminum cans. Not even two inches down I uncovered what I immediately knew was a breast plate.

I probably wouldn't have posted it here if it weren't for the beautiful condition. The hooks are rusted off but other than that I couldn't have asked for an eagle breastplate in better condition.

20170507_124923.jpg 20170507_125503.jpg 20170507_125533.jpg

P5090119.JPG P5090115.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 36
Are you kidding me?!?! The condition is incredible Joey! Holy smokes. Excellent find bruddah and I'm glad you spelled ceased properly, unlike me. Lol

Wow. That thing is in amazing condition. Nice save!

Are you kidding me?!?! The condition is incredible Joey! Holy smokes. Excellent find bruddah and I'm glad you spelled ceased properly, unlike me. Lol
How else would you spell it, lol? I don't think you could even mess it up if you tried! seesed, seast, ceested......

Wow. That thing is incredible. Congrats.

thanks! you know how it is, fields are planted and the heat is bugs are on us now. digging a tiny lot and making a good find it all I can ask for in May!

it is a beautiful find, very good detail, will look good in a display

Dang ! That is the nicest one I have seen here by a country mile ! Is that smooth reverse common on these - that looks different to me . NICE !!!

Dang ! That is the nicest one I have seen here by a country mile ! Is that smooth reverse common on these - that looks different to me . NICE !!!
Most you see, including the other one I've found, have a partial lead backing or it's crumbling. This one looks like it was the day it was issued.

Freaking gorgeous plate man, congratulations on such a fine specimen!

That's gorgeous dude!! Thanks for posting.

HH, RN

I've been out a bunch in the past couple of months but haven't really found anything earth shattering. For the past 7 years I've strictly been researching and detecting (trying anyway) early colonial sites and ceased even looking for Civil War sites to hunt. The area where I live was heavily traversed by both sides of the Civil War and there have been major battles within mere miles of my house. That being said, there are so many Civil War relic hunters around here that I just don't really bother looking for Civil War relics anymore. That doesn't mean if an opportunity presents itself i won't try. A good friend of mine builds houses in the area and this past Sunday I saw a cleared lot with his builder sign out front and I knew the area was a good site to look for relics. I pulled into the lot an immediately hit a bunch of trash and iron. I did a quick grid of the small lot and found a couple of period civilian two-piece buttons but not much else. I decided to hunt along the road back to my car and got an overload signal and dug it in spite of the fact that I already had dug a handful of aluminum cans. Not even two inches down I uncovered what I immediately knew was a breast plate.

I probably wouldn't have posted it here if it weren't for the beautiful condition. The hooks are rusted off but other than that I couldn't have asked for an eagle breastplate in better condition.

View attachment 1449437 View attachment 1449438 View attachment 1449439

View attachment 1449440 View attachment 1449441

Well done great save

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back