F910E76E-CD1D-428A-BFE3-1C75823AA71F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
  • 7934B5E0-5282-4761-9167-14F0D1D76E18.jpeg
    7934B5E0-5282-4761-9167-14F0D1D76E18.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • 36B10419-B376-4739-9CA9-0447BE3C03AE.jpeg
    36B10419-B376-4739-9CA9-0447BE3C03AE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
Looks like it was covered by a smaller coin. Probably wouldn't get a different grade.

:icon_scratch:If not for the Toning on the Reverse I'd have Guessed it sat on a Window sill with a Dime on it for a Year or longer :o

may have been a dug multi-coin drop

Thoughts from all you coin experts out there on the chances of this coming back a straight grade from NGC? Bought on EBay for a good price and I’m considering cracking out to try for a straight AU/low MS grade. Can’t find any examples of Artificially toned Barber’s that look like this one. Thanks!
Here is the Gold Shield photos from PCGS.
Thoughts from all you coin experts out there on the chances of this coming back a straight grade from NGC? Bought on EBay for a good price and I’m considering cracking out to try for a straight AU/low MS grade. Can’t find any examples of Artificially toned Barber’s that look like this one. Thanks!
Here are the PCGS Gold Shield Photos for better clarity! Thank you for the input so far. Interesting to hear what all could’ve caused the coin to tone like this.

Attachments

• 69C5F87E-C85F-40D7-8692-BAEC2B0FB657.jpeg
    69C5F87E-C85F-40D7-8692-BAEC2B0FB657.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 14
I’ve experimented with toning coins artificially. I’ve done quite a few. In my opinion the toning on your coin is authentic. PCGS was on the fence with your coin. They won’t stick their necks out with grading. That’s a good thing for serious collectors, but frustrating to coin submitters.
IMG_6283.jpeg
IMG_6286.jpeg

Coins that are wrapped in a paper roll get the colors around the edge like that. When you fake tone a coin it would be very difficult to keep the center from being toned also.
I would have thought the other way around, that the paper would preserve/protect the edges while toning the centers exposed to the changing air conditions.

Depending on the air (humidity, pollution, etc.)

I would have thought the other way around, that the paper would preserve/protect the edges while toning the centers exposed to the changing air conditions.

Depending on the air (humidity, pollution, etc.)
Wrapped silver the toning starts from the outside working in as the Quarter shows.
I would discount the leg theory as it would only show on one side-as would a dime sitting on the coin.
I've dug a few multi coin recoveries and the imprint of the other coin is a clear defined circular edge.

Here is the Gold Shield photos from PCGS.

Here are the PCGS Gold Shield Photos for better clarity! Thank you for the input so far. Interesting to hear what all could’ve caused the coin to tone like this.
some old silver coins were stored in cloth bags and the chemicals in the bags created those type of tones on the coins touching the cloth bag. Common on the Mighty Morgan dollars which were minted in huge numbers for political reasons and stored in bags at banks and post offices.

Wrapped silver the toning starts from the outside working in as the Quarter shows.
That makes sense to me throughout the roll, but not on open ends.

I would discount the leg theory as it would only show on one side-as would a dime sitting on the coin.
I missed that, but it was just a thought/mind fart.
🧠💨

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back