Question,

Hi Pepperpump,

From my experience I don't believe any area will ever be "Hunted out". To start the detectors we are using today are so much more powerful and sensitive then the ones used in the past. It would be like they used dial up and we have DSL. I have been hitting areas that I know have been hit over and over again and each time I'm out I find great things. For example I recently found 2 1773 VA 1/2 pennies about 40 yards apart. This was in an area that was dug to death. Yesterday I hit a field that was dug allot and within 2 hours found 3 mini's, 1885 Pennie and a bunch of brass. That's my take on the topic. Hope you share the same.

Roy

hey roy, thanks for the reply, i have to agree with you. the only thing is the guy i know swears by this. he knows quite a few people in the area and says they say the same. truth is, i think he is telling me this because he doesn't want we to hunt his property. He owns a nice amount of land that is prime to check out and i have asked twice but he gives the run around. oh well i guess.
jason :-\

HAHA, hunted out, that'll be the day. I don't believe there is such a thing. I've been hitting a spot that has been hunted for 30+ years and stuff still comes out of the ground. I have bought better detectors and dig deeper stuff at these places but also find items just an inch or two down. I'd like to post 'Hunted Out' signs on places so people who believe in that myth will just turn around and leave more for me to find.

pepperpump said:
hey roy, thanks for the reply, i have to agree with you. the only thing is the guy i know swears by this. he knows quite a few people in the area and says they say the same. truth is, i think he is telling me this because he doesn't want we to hunt his property. He owns a nice amount of land that is prime to check out and i have asked twice but he gives the run around. oh well i guess.
jason :-\

Pepperpump,

Okay here is the proof that your friend may be wrong. I went out today to a well know battlefield that has been dug time and time again. I hit a corner and BAM! At least 25 to 30 hits. All bullets and all in a 20 by 20 area. I had to stop digging just because it was getting dark and I was beat. I found a variety of different types but mostly CW. I just put a post on the " What is It" Forum. You'll see all the different types I dug. If this place was detected they would be few and far between. If this is what your friends mean by hunted out I'm in! In just two months I have a huge CW collection. And being in Williamsburg you know for sure that this place has been hunted by everyone. Get detecting!!! :o

Hey everyone, there is no doubt he is bs'ing me...I thought for sure he would say ok but he said no. The part I love is he let his boss hunt his land. Go figure ::)
Pepperpump

How do you go about hitting "well known" battlefields such as Gettysburg? I go there all the time living so close and still can't find a way. Oh, and even though I realize through reading that your friend just didn't want to give you permission to detect, just to support it even more...I am also a reenactor and was in Gettysburg this past summer and personally witnessed the finding of two confederate rifle pits just to the back of Devil's Den.

pepperpump said:
Hey everyone, there is no doubt he is bs'ing me...I thought for sure he would say ok but he said no. The part I love is he let his boss hunt his land. Go figure ::)
Pepperpump

In that case, go make aquaintences with his boss. ;) LOL

I have friends that started collecting relics back in the late 50's and early 60's and by their standards it may be hunted out to them.They could go out and pickup relics off the ground and then they started sifting and finding relics by the buckets full. I would love to have a chance to prove that Gettysburg was not hunted out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back