Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been MD for years but never really came across any "error" coins. However, after cleaning up my clad coins from this past weekend I noticed this 1978D Lincoln that has reverse imprint on both sides and filled in mint mark. The reverse imprint on both sides is actually more pronounced than the picture shows. I can see the Lincoln memorial on left side of obverse. I don't know what kind of error this is called. Any additional infowould be great! This will probably go in with my collection as I never really sell anything (my wife loves this:laughing7:) Thanks everyone.

Cent error obverse.jpg Cent error reverse.jpg

That is a very pronounced die clash error and an awesome recovery :hello2:
Here's an example used on an error coin site, yours is much nicer, and copper :)
'Die Clashes' occurr when there's no planchet present during a strike, the dies clash together and make impressions in each other that are visible the coins struck afterwards.
Clash-360x354.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see 'United States' in mirror image on the reverse edge, cannot explain how that would occur....
neat coin, looking forward to hearing more opinions.

Upvote 0
Interesting coin. Both sides has me wondering... vice? How are those rims on the "damaged" side? Any flatter than the rest of the coin?

Upvote 0
I think it is just damaged, somebody put it between two other cents and either squeezed it in a vice or hammered it.

Upvote 0
Appears like a regualr coin as far as the rims go. I know very little about error coins but after cleaning my clad this past weekend, this penny just stood out. I think if someone were to sandwich in vice, being equal density, that it would just flatten the coin rather than imprint reverse. Just a thought. Any other thoughts out there would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
If it was a sandwiched vice job, wouldn't you get a negative image from the positive? The NT looks to be indented, but the columns on the Lin. Mem. look relief. Interesting :) Breezie

Upvote 0
It's a nice Die Clash / Clashed Die. It's a mint error. Someone did not put that coin in a vice (and you couldn't produce that result by squashing them in a vice. The error is on the actual die because they hit each other without a planchet between them.)

Upvote 0
It's a nice Die Clash / Clashed Die. It's a mint error. Someone did not put that coin in a vice (and you couldn't produce that result by squashing them in a vice. The error is on the actual die because they hit each other without a planchet between them.)

Thanks filmiracle, I thought that is what happened after asking around a bit but you explained it well.

Upvote 0
It seems unusual that 'United States' is appearing in mirror image on the correct side.
a 'double clash' is the only way I could explain it, Dies clash with no planchet, leaving reversed impressions, dies clash again, leaving these error impressions on the correct sides ....
I've never seen one like that.
Usually clashes display just error imagery just from the wrong side.
I'm not an error expert. Try posting on an error forum and see a
what they say. I am very impressed with your recovery and keen eye, please keep us informed. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back