Question from a newbie. Dont want to get shot!

Goldbear

Apr 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Question from a newbie. Don't want to get shot!

Not by you guys but wherever I would be panning. Is there an easy way to find out about "claims" on public land out west? I am familiar with an area from elk hunting and have given that up but want to try panning or m.d. in the area and don't want to have to worry about trespassing on a claim. I guess I am wondering is there a website where they are posted by state?
I don't want to have to join a club and go where everyone else goes. I live in wi and from my studies it sounds like gold and silver in wi is almost non existent. ??? I basically just want to go into small streams and pan and sluice with a backpack. Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0
Re: Question from a newbie. Don't want to get shot!

There are sites but it seems they are not kept current. To be prudent you would need to call the BLM office where you want to pan. The short answer tho is the claims are required to be posted.

here's the site you're looking for (click 'interactive maps') : http://www.geocommunicator.gov/GeoComm/

I don't believe there are claims on public land in WI. I might be wrong though.
Private property; get permission from land owners. They own the mineral rights.
Gold panning won't be a problem just no power equipment.
There are some rules about not digging into the banks Etc. The General Mass Destruction don't s.
Found this link on the clubs web site for the rules.
http://wausauprospectors.com/images/Recreational Gold Panning In Wisconsin.pdf
Help preserve Wisconsin's beauty The Sierra Club :headbang:
I always take a trash bucket with me and do some clean up.
I bring home more aluminum cans than gold.
What chaps my backside; is the progressive guppie giving me a had time and then tossing there plastic water bottle on the way out. The plastic trash is on the rise.

Regarding the Geocom site, is everybody having the same problem I'm having? Namely the blank white space that covers almost the whole upper half of the map area. I'm using the newest IE iteration which allows me to zoom in increments and I have to put it at 50% to get a reason map to work with but the blank space is still there Just smaller.

Gramps

GeoCom dead and gone--good riddance. Being in WI predicates private property(exceptions to every rule a thimb) usage as east a the rockies NOT same same as out west (wild wild west) sooo plan accordingly-John

All I found in the area I wanted was " No data yet available: Just blank squares.

Hoser - what? Don't follow you at all.

HMMMMMMMMMMMM I'll try again--different rules east and west of the rockies. East you almost always have to work private property(some forest lands open but NOT much) and out west a zillion acres (used to be) open to claim as BLM and Forest lands abound. Buy the latest edition of the ICMJ and claims will be explained in detail. Your local recorders office has land ownership plat maps to enlighten you. Join a local yokel club for the fast track to a mining life. Smaller the better be it gold,gem/mineral or detecting as goldnutz abound everywhere at todays RIGHTEOUS PRICES-tons a au 2 u 2-John

EAST OF THE ROCKIES, JUST GO DOOR KNOCKING.
BE NICE AND OFFER TO SHARE THE BOUNTY.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

P.S. WEAR AN ORANGE VEST, AND KEEP A PISTOL CLOSE, JUST IN CASE.
WELL AT LEAST THAT WORKS IN THE SOUTH. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Just returned from Bear Creek, Pinos Altos NM last month where i was panning on someones claim mistakenly without permission. The fellow who directed me to the spot lied and told me he was the current claim owner. Turned out he was one of the previous claim owners and was still giving people permission to pan there. Yes. The REAL claim owner showed up about four days after i started panning. He was wearing a .38 caliber pistol in a holster on his waist belt and he informed me i was STEALING his gold. Since i had only found five very tiny particles of gold i was more than happy to surrender my treasure and even offered to allow the gentleman to search through my belongings if he wished to make sure i didn't have more. Afterwards i beat it outta there.

My point is.. Even though you are careful and respectful of claims, sometimes mistakes occur. Maybe you got bad information. Maybe you're not exactly where you think you are. Even the best woodsmen get turned around occassionally. Be co-operative and friendly when confronted by someone wearing a gun, especially if he is accusing you of comitting a crime like theft. This is no time to get all argumentative and excited. You could get shot. And remember.. No amount of gold is worth getting shot over. If the fellow on Bear Creek had found some other gold in my gear that didn't come from his claim, I would have gladly surrendered that too.

IT IS VERY TRUE, THAT YOU CAN BE LED ASTRAY BY OTHERS, ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE NOT WELL KNOWN BY YOU.
HOWEVER, I HAVE BEEN CONFRONTED BY SEVERAL MEN, WITH A SMALL ARMORY, WHEN WORKING ON LAND WITH DOCUMENTATION OF RIGHT TO SEARCH AND DIG, FROM 3 TO 5 DIFFERENT CONSECUTIVE LAND OWNERS. BY THAT I MEAN THE TRAILS THAT I WALKED WENT FROM ONE LAND OWNER TO THE NEXT. WE HAD BINDING CONTRACTS WITH ALL OF THE LAND OWNERS IN HAND.
WE WERE CONFRONTED BY WHAT TURNED OUT TO BE OPERATORS OF A WELL HIDDEN DRUG LAB. THESE GUYS WERE SERIOUS! THE THREAT OF LOSS OF LIFE WAS CLEAR. WE EXPLAINED OUR PRESENCE THERE AND NAMED THE LAND OWNER, WHOSE LAND WE WERE ON.
I WOULD HAVE GIVEN THEM ALL OF MY GEAR IF THEY WOULD HAVE DEMANDED IT.
I WOULD HAVE GIVEN THAT SAME GEAR TO HAVE HAD A PISTOL ON MY HIP AT THAT MOMENT. !!! I AM NOT ADVISING ANY ONE TO BE CONFORNTATIONAL!! I AM ADVISING THAT NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, HAVE ANY AND ALL WRITTEN PERMISSION AGREEMENTS WITH ALL INFO AS TO WHERE YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO BE, AND COPIES TO SHARE WITH ANYONE THAT CHALLANGES YOUR RIGHT TO BE WHERE YOU ARE. DO IT POLITELY AND OFFER PART OR ALL OF YOUR DIGGINGS IF NEED BE.

SAFETY FIRST. GET OUT ALIVE, WITH YOUR GOLD IF YOU CAN.
PROSPECTORMIKEL
:coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back