Question for the experts

am-ark

Nov 30, 2008
Virginia
I mostly visit the indian artifact forum but im quite interested in civil war artifacts as well. I live in Danville Va which is the last capital of the confederacy. I have access to land that runs anlong the Dan River. This particullar piece of land also has railroad tracks on it, which I think has been there since the 1800's. This is my question, what would be the best place to detect, around the tracks, or near the river? I have done some detecting there but havent found anything of interest. I have researched some old Danville hand scetched maps but I cant find any of the area that I am hunting. Any help would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
No expert here, but I would look for any river crossing be it a ferry, bridge, or low point that was there in the CW and hunt those areas. As for the train track, any stopping point for water or passengers would be hot spot. Good Luck!
Mike

I always check near the water first. If there was any camps they were probably closer to the water. Good luck...

Any water or railroad tracks are a good spot. Make sure the railroad was there during the war. Where roads or railroads cross the river can be good area too. There may be an area where civil war troops trained and waited for trains. Any old houses or house sites would be good places to try as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back