Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these items resting together in a private yard in Ligonier PA on the site of the 1758 British Fort Ligonier. Within a couple of feet I also found two .69 cal British Brown Bess musketballs. Also within a few feet I found a silver basketball charm with a 1940's date on it. So you can see this yard held a mixture of relics spanning close to 200 years.

I have always wondered about these shell looking pieces with the glass stones. They look to have been connected into a braclet or necklace with iron wire. Is the any chance these could be 18th century trade items, or are they just 20th century kids jewelry?

Attachments

• Jewelry pieces.jpg.JPG
    Jewelry pieces.jpg.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 607
Upvote 0
Tough one. Gut feeling = modern, BUT, there is some oddball trade jewelry, like pewter maltese crosses with (I think) glass stones. What is the metal? Was it plated?

Lucas said:
Tough one. Gut feeling = modern, BUT, there is some oddball trade jewelry, like pewter maltese crosses with (I think) glass stones. What is the metal? Was it plated?

Having found some colonial cuff links with colored stones in them is what got me thinking that these may be older than I think. I'm not sure of the metal, it is a greyish metal, close to pewter but not pewter. They were not plated. I found them above what was the Forts spring. My gut feel is modern too, and if I had found them in any other yard, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back