Question concerning a bullet

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Found this morning metal detecting.
I’m guessing 45ACP. Micrometer showed .450 diameter; dead nuts.
I’m told 45 ACP should mic at .452 inches and 45 long colt at .451 inches.
I’m guessing it changes a little after being pressed into the brass and going through the barrel.
The length is 5/8”. What caught my attention is the jacket thickness.
The lead center (end view) is 5/16” diameter (0.3125”).
I’m not a reloader. I understand how it works, but don’t know all the variables available. Other bullets I have found were either unjacketed (lead round ball) or had much thinner jacketing.
Any input appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2051.jpeg
    IMG_2051.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2052.jpeg
    IMG_2052.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 2
I’ve reloaded lots of 45 acp but never messed with any 45 long Colt. That does look like a fat old 45 acp to me. That copper jacket might be rolled at the bottom so it looks thicker than it is. Just a guess though.
I’ll check that out. Thanks!

I don’t have anyway to weigh it in grains. My smallest is a food scale in 1/4 oz increments. Thanks.👍🏼
230 grains is just barely over half an ounce (0.53). The scale wouldn't be definitive, but you'd at least know it was in the ballpark if it reads half an ounce but less than 3/4.

230 grains is just barely over half an ounce (0.53). The scale wouldn't be definitive, but you'd at least know it was in the ballpark if it reads half an ounce but less than 3/4.
I’ll check it out. Thank you.

S
I don’t have anyway to weigh it in grains. My smallest is a food scale in 1/4 oz increments. Thanks.👍🏼
Construct a simple balance beam.
Bullet on one end=15 grams on the other.
(230 grains = 14.904 grams)
A one dollar bill weighs exactly 1 gram.

Yep I would 100% say 230 grain 45acp FMJ. They rolled the jacket over to help keep it from separating from the lead core.

Makes sense. I tried the weighing ideas mentioned from members and it does weigh in as a normal .45 ACP.
Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate the knowledge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back