Question bout panning and a metal detector

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was gonna put this in the metal detector forum but i think my question will be best answered here. When i was 15 my grandpa past away from cancer. Me and him was always close and shortly after his passing my grandma gave me a ring he had. He had made it while he worked at a jeweler before i was even born. It was made from silver and his eagles pin he had received from a lodge. When i was 18 i got stuck recovering a deer on z logged section of forest in Kentucky. I was digging dirt out from behind my blazer and i guess it slipped from my finger.
Well in the next few weeks im going back to indiana and have made up my mind im going to go try and find it

Im hoping even though its been 10 years its there cause its in bfe. I know the spot with in ten feet of where it would be. So im thinking a metal detecter and a shovel should do the job

Heres my question for you guys. Is it worth investing in a good metal detector since i plan to be panning and dredging soon. I really dont plan on walking around just metal detecting but could see having it around when prospecting

Upvote 0
Hi Big, Sure hate hearing when someone loses an heirloom like that. While a metal detector is very useful in mining, if it isn't in your budget you can do one of a couple of things. First see if there is a place you can rent or borrow one from, second place an ad in the local paper and ask for assistance from a detecting club. Tell them your story and I will bet they will come out of the woodwork to help. Maybe even offer a reward or donation to the club if they find it. There are alot of good helpfull folks out there.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

I never thought about that. Ill see if theres a club in that area. Ik when i lived there i heard alot about people detecting there find old stuff around there. Ik one guy down there who could help buf idk bout that one rough hillbilly id as soon not knock on that door.

Its bothered me ever since it happen. Every time i roll through Kentucky i think bout it. It was the only i had from my grandpa so idc if i gotta take a sluice down there and pan the entire hillside i will.
I was gonna buy a cheapo detector but given its importance and i can use it prospecting ill buy a good one if need be. Im goin back to indiana after i get a settlement from a car wreck so ill have the money for it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back