Question about Treasure Coast

I've been to the treasure coast a few weeks ago and found that the beaches were empty of people and treasure.

The beaches have been sanded in and there has been no cutting or erosion to speak of.

Very poor conditions so far this year. Here in Florida, we need the rain so a good weak hurricane would be nice. Just strong enough to bring lots of rain and wash away all the taxpayer funded sand.

Then maybe the finds will be better.

I was down there in Jan. a guy on the beach told me that after the big hurricanes they reclaim the sand that has been washed out to sea and pull it back up, the only thing I found was a penny and a lot of pull tabs. but you never know you might hit the sweet spot.
good luck

Sniffer

It was at Turtle, just South of the steps. Just a note. Unless there is a good storm to take out the sand or a really good cut, you're just spinning your wheels on the 1715 beaches.

Deepsix

Sniffer said:
I was down there in Jan. a guy on the beach told me that after the big hurricanes they reclaim the sand that has been washed out to sea and pull it back up, .........
Sniffer

It would be nice if that were the case. It is a sad situation that all the sand they are dumping on the beaches is of poor quality and actually washes out and covers reefs that were once exposed. If they do pump sand in it is not from right near shore where the sand actually washes out to. It is pumped from way off shore or from the indian river, or even trucked in from land sites. Then it repeats, only to wash out and bury the reefs even deeper!

Rgecy is correct. True beach sand is much different than crap from the ocean bottom or inland borrow pits. It is VERY consistent in size, and has no "fines" that stay in suspension and destroy the nearshore habitat.

It is our duty to help protect the environment we are familiar with. Raise Hell with your local "coastal engineer" when they recommend renourishment. Don't encourage Great Lakes dredging from promoting their disastrous regime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back