Question about the GRIZZLY 3 DELUXE SLUICE/HIGHBANKER

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi yes I'm buying the Grizzly 3 deluxe. and I wanted some advice on this. what your opinion is and people who own 1.
if you have any suggestions I'd be all ears. other than by a different piece of equipment.

Me and the wife have looked at tons of different types of equipment and we've decide that the grizzly would be best suited for what where doing. and the places where going. most people aren't going to hike 4 to 10 mIles into the back country with 50+ pounds strapped onto there backs. we can just take the grizzly our pans, a hose, picks, and other little things. but I'm I'd really like any advice you all can give. I also have an idea for a stand. I wanted to weld or bolt on to it I wanted to bounce off yall. A square tube Cross welded to the back. and a slight smaller set welded to both sides of the front. that way the back legs are a little thicker than the front legs. when there down the legs would be adjustable with a couple set screws in the cross. the legs would be 26 inches long give or take front and back. and then the legs could be pulled out and slide down the cross so that they slide right down the sides of the grizzly. the front ones would be smaller so they'd slide into the back legs so the fit together as 1. I wanted to use set screws but if I could use some kind of twist arm. like if I welded an Allan wrench to the set screws. I haven't used 1 yet I might not even need it. but just a thought.

But anyway let me know if yall have any suggestions any advice on using it and so on thanks yall

I've never heard of the thing but I'd like to see a link to it if you have one.

Why don't you just buy 2 LeTrap sluices at less than 5lbs each? Along with a shovel for each of you, and your food/water/other essentials in your nap-sack you can hike for miles with little wear & tear.

This looks more like an AD to me...

Thinking about getting the am recon 2. but again it's already decided and here's why. theresults no real set rules in utah so it's up to the rangers. I've had some rangers walk up and tell me the they like my Keene a51. and then I've had others tell me to get my sluice out of the water or they'll arrest me and confiscate my equipment. if you look up prospecting in the uinta national forest it takes you to a fs usda website that says RIVER sluicing is not allowed and neither is using any thing Machanical. now the funny thing about this website is its for the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests witch is in Georgia, I fought with one ranger about this and he sent me to the water rights division. and they turned around and told me I could run river sluices and hand Dredges. but nothing Machanical. I've got a forum about this. but I haven't got anywhere with it. so for those particular areas where those particular rangers are I'm not about to through my equipment in the river again and get it taken if they show up. so if we have something that's nonMachanical and i can take away from the river to set it up, use a gravity syphon with a hose then theres no worries. the bucket is just a way to make sure you can use it no matter where you are. they guy whos in charge of bear bottom mining lives here in utah and he's never once had a problem with the rangers with the grizzly. so that's the main reason where getting this. plus like I said we can set it up anywhere anytime. so anyone own 1 or ever use this who would like to give some advice on it. or anything else. I'm always looking for more idea's.

Last edited:
They look like a well built unit but I have always felt they were a lot of money for what you get. It's just an aluminum rocker box that doesn't rock... Not that it won't work!
You might consider the "Rocking Gold Grabber" From Gold Dredge Builders Warehouse. No cheaper, but I think you may get a bit more for your buck. They also build a smaller version. I guess the question is would the FS consider a hand pump mechanical. If it is a shovel is mechanical also...
Gold Dredge Builders Warehouse
Gold Dredge Builders Warehouse (Mini "Rocking Gold Grabber")

The "Mini Gold Grabber" might work real well for you also.
Gold Dredge Builders Warehouse

Just options

Last edited:
450 bucks?????? no way in heck....You could buy a bazooka for half or two different sized ones

Yeah. I tried the hand pump idea the one ranger said it's a dredge and you can't use it. but they don't have any problems with a syphon system. stupid especially considering the fact that some of those syphon systems can provide more pressure and actually be used as a dredge. I've seen them. but yeah

Personally I don't think the ranger new what he was talking about

I've never use one sorry but for the money I would either buy a gold cube because it's a recirculator that you can use away from the water or build a rocker box yourself. The one above looks ok for what it is but a rocker box will give you much better recovery when built right. The key is not to use punch plate or expanded metal, you want a few dozen holes in the top of a piece of sheet metal that the gold can drop through. The rocking motion is what will get you the fine gold. I've built one many years ago and though it rotted away after 10 years it payed for itself 10 times over or more. Here are some plans that I found using google but the gpaa has a set of plans like this also and it could be the same plans. Basically the gold is trapped in the piece of canvas that forms a pocket below the punch plate. Take a piece of sheet metal into the woods and shoot some holes into it and this becomes the classifier.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...ans&ei=VRnpVM7hINbjoASqqoCYDw&ved=0CAkQ9C8wAA

Yeah been that route. I built my own hand dredge. it was supposed to be for 30 bucks or less. that wasn't includin the check valves, tools, and some of the other pieces witch cost me over a bill. o should have just got a sandman or gold and sand Xteam. woulda cost me about the same. I've looked at alluminum prices and other things I'd be better of buying 1. time and everything else included it's easier for me to just pay for it. considering my time is 14 dollars an hour. added ontop of everything else I'd be into it more than just paying for it. pluss it's already in motion. bear bottom mining has been really good with me and letting us pay for it as we go. obviously we don't get it until its paid for. but I've only had a few nice days where as I can get out. there has been some really nice weather lately. but now it's snowing witch is a good thing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back