Question about river/creek finds ?

Depending on the depth any part, there have been several threads on this check out old post.HH

I like creeks with signs of gravel or cobbles that has a current. If the banks are muddy dont bother.

I have done better tho' in some muddy creeks of good sized river valleys, the way they moved thru the ages, & when so many had been there in early and late Archaic,
and even back to Paleo times, all the way up to modern Woodland styles....

The key to creek banks is the presence of flint & river chert. Either in bank, or holes in bed, mud holes can be checked in swim suit possibly with pleasing results, also at river intersect...

Think of a nice 5" or longer, Archaic Spear 7' down from top of 12' bank or so in solid clay, laying flat. That was quite a flow of silt...

Favorite creeks were also those that adjoined a river, with evidence at all tiers, rocky & not, even to the third tier where it was probably safe back when they had more water moving...
The quartz is real nice and hard to find... ~: Crosse :~

Last edited:
Inside corners are pulling in fresh material outside corners catch everything from up stream. A site could be cut out on one side of a bank or coming out and then eventually pushed to an outside corner. Start in the push ups for flakes then work backwards. Each creek is different and has its own character. Like a field once you learn it you can hit the hot spots pretty quick. Google earth is ok but a good topo is priceless.
Have fun!

TN... You would do great hunting Megolodon teeth in the rivers and creeks here... Same exact scenario.
Pointy rocks pop up too.

I started out hunting in creeks and in rivers a couple years ago. Looking through gravel bar after gravel bar can make you go cross-eyed, and at times it drove me crazy. I didn't find a point until i stepped out of the creek and onto the bank--washouts and areas where the bank has visibly been eroded due to flooding can be a gold mine! It all depends on the area though, and this has just been my experience with it. Gravel bars can be very productive, it just depends on the area. Good luck hunting!

I've written one or two posts on this topic. Try looking them up. Completely depends on what kind of creek or river, where, etc. Yak

With all the rain moving threw,rivers will be up . The shore lines are very shallow all the way around .cant wait to get better at water hunts ! Think I'll check gravel bars and bank washouts . Thanks !

With all the rain moving threw,rivers will be up . The shore lines are very shallow all the way around .cant wait to get better at water hunts ! Think I'll check gravel bars and bank washouts . Thanks !

Make sure you have a walking stick or a flipping stick with you. I forgot to tell you if your creek has sand in it beware of it unless you poke the bottom with a stick. When you use your stick and feel the bottom (hard pan) then you can step on it, if you feel no bottom by all means avoid walking on it cause you can sink very quickly. If you have boots on when you sink it can actually be dangerous cause they will fill up with sand or mud and hold you down. I use a beaver stick to feel the bottom while walking. HH, rock

I always use old shoes/ boots when walking in water. I will never use waiters ,guy in Lake Erie lost his life using waiters.there was a drop off and water filled his waiters so he couldn't swim... And yes I always use a walking stick/flipping stick when hunting land or water, use golf club rod with bolt in bottom works great ! I never have sunk in sand ,but once I stepped into a river and sank one leg in mud! That was pretty scary .. Thanks ..

Here in Missouri I find artifacts in nearly every creek/river in my old county. I looked around on google earth like I do all my spots, checked elevations around the creeks where there would have been a camp or higher ground out of the flood plain. Than search the most likely area of the creek and river where I think they would have accessed the water the most. Lots of tools and old paleo stuff came out of the creeks here. Any corners where a camp could have been, where two creeks join or where a creek hits the river. Also I look out for old snail shells, clam shells, places that they would have gathered flint etc. I recently moved up to Table Rock Lake though and walked two creeks that are tributaries of the James River arm and yet to find any arrowheads, just some tools and lots of Reeds Springs chert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back