Question about NGC grading,one for those in the know.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When a coin is graded by NGC, is it automatically slabbed in an airtight case or is that extra? The reason I ask, is because I found in my collection, a large cent that is in a 2x2 paper envelope, and inside is the little piece of paper from NGC that states the condition and the serial number, along with another piece of paper that has the following printed on it-Attributed and graded by J.R.Grellman EAC#575,also written by hand is some other info. in each corner ,that seems to pertain to this coin. What i'm really trying to find out is, if I can trust this information since the coin is not sealed in an airtight container as they usually are. I also am wondering why it isn't "slabbed" if it has been graded,perhaps the container got damaged or broken? Also,when I enter the serial number on ebay's pre-filled item information for NGC graded coins,it says numeric grade-45,graded by NGC,the serial number and grade-mint state? I didn't know thier was such a thing as mint state with a 45 number grade? Anybody got a clue? Here's a photo-

Attachments

• 1854 LC XF-45 BROWN.jpg
    1854 LC XF-45 BROWN.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 235
It may have been slabbed then taken out. The coin holder may have been damaged and they put it in a 2x2 but kept the certificate. The problem is that is why they are slabbed, so that certificate stays with the appropriate coin. Being a raw coin now you don't know for sure if it is really the coin that was graded. Just some ideas ;)
Greg

Do you remember where you bought the coin? Perhaps you should ask the person you bought it from. I can think of two posibilities. 1. Maybe it was one of NGC's earliest graded coins and maybe they used envelopes at first instead of slabs. 2. Maybe it was graded by NGC at one of the big coin shows as a walk-up. Sometimes the grading services set up at the ANA convention shows and people bring their coins up to be graded on the spot. Also, the numerical grading system goes from 1 to 70. The lowest rating of 1 represents a coin in poor condition and a rating of 70 is a perfect coin. The grade of extra fine has the number range from 40 to 49. A numerical grade of XF 45 means the coin is better than the basic XF 40. It's close to Almost Uncirculated or AU 50 grade. Hope this helps you.
Bob

Large cent collectors are a special breed. As a general rule they don't want their LC's to be in slabs so when they buy one in a slab they often times crack it out.

Bob Grellman is well known in the LC community. He prepares catalogs for a couple of the major numismatic auctions and also catalogs and conducts the annual auction for the Early American Copper club. (EAC).

In addition to these activities he is the recognized authority on the Late Date LCs (1940-1957) and has published several books on how to identify the various varieties. He offers an attribution service for LC
s and the card in your picture is typical of what he provides with his attribution.

So what you have is a LC that was bought in an NGC slab, cracked out and then sent to Grellman for attribution. LC collectors typically keep their cents in a cotton envelope inside of a paper envelope.

The 25 in the lower right corner of the Grellman card is the grade of the coin in Bob's opinion. Since there is only one number that signifies that he considers the coin to grade VF 25 and that there were no deductions for corrosion or other flaws so the net grade is the same as the sharpness grade. If it were a coin that he had net graded the numbers in the lower right might be something like 25/8.

Just wanted to add that a difference in grade between a TPG company such as NGC and an EAC member is not unusual. EAC tends to stay with grading standards that were in effect many years ago, while the TPG's use the looser modern "market" grading. That is one of the contributing factors for the NGC grade of XF45 vs. the Grellman grade of VF25.

Thanks waseeker.That's as detailed as anything I could hope for,and then some! :) I appreciate the info.

You're welcome.

I'm new to the world of metal detector's and treasure hunting and just found this board yesterday. It was nice to find a thread I actually knew something about and could provide information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back