Question about hunting site.

CS110

Feb 12, 2005
Hey everyone, my name is Chris and I've been reading these forums for about 6 months now and I blame you all for my newest addiction. I broke down and purchased a DFX about 3 weeks ago once I realized that there was no hope for me and I'd be doing this for the rest of my life.

I recently received permission to detect on 300 acres that belong to a friend of my father. There are a couple of acres of land that are right on the Bay, an old barn that's been there for over 100 years that hasen't been used in a long time(And has been claimed by a nest of Carpenter Bees), an old home that was built around 1900(Which is boarded up) a new home that was built around 50 years ago(Which the current owner lives in now), TONS of fields that are currently being farmed and have been farmed for close to 150-200 years(One of the fields had an old slave quarters on it which was torn down and plowed over a long time ago) and finally a home that belong to an old man back in the woods that was torn down.

My dad is good friends with the owner and he took me over to meet him last week. He's a very nice guy and told me I'm welcome back anytime, just give him a call and tell him ahead of time and he has no problem with me going where ever I want. I only got to spend about 2 hours there the other day and most of that was getiing the tour of the place so I really only got a chance to check out the old home for about 30 minutes and all I found was an old ESSO keyring which was nice. I saw an identical one on Ebay selling for .99 cents but it was still a cool find.

I'm going over again on my day off and I'm wondering where would the best place be to start. I'm going to hit the old house and dig up everything I can find but I was also wondering if it would be worth my time to go over the fields, espically the one where the old slave quarters were. I'd also eventually like to hit the home that was torn down, the only problem with that is there is TONS of old metal and junk all over the place. It would be a task that would take several days to dig it all up.

I'd appreciate any advice and I really need to get off my butt and start posting all my finds ever week. Thanks everyone!

Chris

Upvote 0
IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU HAVE A SITE THAT YOU WILL BE DIGGIN FOR YRS TO COME NOT JUST DAYS....TRY AND FIND WHERE THE MOST ACTIONS WAS....WHERE THE PEOPLE WERE THAT WOULD BE THE BEST PLACE TO START...LOOK FOR OLD INDENTATIONS IN THE GROUND...CELLER HOLES....OUT HOUSES....FIND THE OLDEST TREES AND LOOK AROUND THEM....OLD CORNER POST....USE YOUR IMAGINATION...WHERE WOULD YOU GO TO HIDE STUFF...WHERE WOULD YOU GO TO GET AWAY FROM EVERYONE ELSE...WHERE WOULD YOU PLAY IF YOU WERE A KID....
HOPE THIS GETS YOU STARTED
AND KEEP US POSTED
KEEP SWINGIN
LONE GUNMAN

Thanks for the tips. I called the owner up earlier and told him I'm off all day Monday and would be coming over. I have all day and I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. I'll keep everyone posted.

Here's the ESSO keytag I found at the house.

Attachments

• tn_Picture 001.jpg
    tn_Picture 001.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 244
Well I went back today. I searched the old house for about 3 hours and all I have to show for my efforts is a quarter(2000), a nickel(1962) and about 1000 pounds of old metal and nails. The owner showed me where the old stable was(They tore it down 10 years ago) and thats where I found the two buttons and the metal piece. The only problem is that the ground has been plowed over and farmed every year since they tore it down.

The good thing I found out is that the house he is living in now was connected to the house he is renting out. His Grandfather moved the house 50 years ago because he wanted it to overlook the water. The house he is renting out is actually on the site of where the OLD OLD house use to be before the newer house was built. He says the old house(Which isn't there anymore) was probably built in the 1700's when people actually started living there. He's going to talk to the people who rent the house to tell them I'll be poking around soon, he didn't want me searching through their yard(actually his yard) until he did. So that's where I'll be looking when I go there next time.

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 223
I love that buckle. Those buttons might be worth something if they're old.

Keep looking. It sounds like you have a great site.

wow ! ............................... about description of site.................... i'd like to hunt that ! 300 acres will take some time (obviously) is stuff there ? odds are in your favor
old areas where outhouses are super hot also they dumped allot of other stuff down there when they got modern plumbing. a neighbor of mine when i was a kid had some people from the historical society come to their house with a map showing where this outhouse was on his property .. they searched the area digging only and finding all kinds of coins & bottles (CHECK THERE !)

Good job welcome to the club bud! Take your time and check everything. I would suggest for and old place like that, check the bottoms of all the fence posts for post hole banks. 5th post hole from NE corner or one you could see from house etc, but i would check them all. Good luck!

This is what they look like and there are a ton of them out there!!!!

Attachments

• PostHolePhoto.jpg
    PostHolePhoto.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 158
Awesome place you have to search. I would definitely search the area that use to be the slave quarters. You might even find a slave tag, and those things have some definite value!!! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back