DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't make these types of inquiries a habit because I know I have to learn on my own but in the recent hunt I posted photos of, we found most of the flakes and pieces of points in concentrated areas in the field being hunted. Mainly they were at the crest of two hills in the field not too far from a spring fed pond or pool which was about 100 yards from the crest of the hill.

Is this concentration of flakes and pieces indicative of a settlement/camp/etc., or was it common for an artisan to simply sit in one place for days and knap out points and tools and then move on? I am assuming that based on our finds, this was probably the case. It appeared to be a location where an Indian sat and did his thing for a while and moved on. We found two such concentrated areas within about 50 yards of each other, about 100 yards from the pool, both on the crest of the hill.

We noticed no other items like pottery pieces, fire rocks, etc. to indicate a camp or village. There were some larger pieces of chert in the field not worked but that was it along with our flakes and broken points.

Thanks,

DaChief!

Upvote 0
there were more years before pottery than after so could stell be a village site, the larger pieces of chert could have been cores from which they broke off flakes to make arrowheads and knives from. Terry

Thanks Terry. Didn't think about that but I understand. I will read more about the history and that will help me understand. Keeping this in line with Civil War finds, I look at this location where these flakes and pieces were much like a Picket Post. When looking for civil war camps, I find an occaissional picket post which then tells me a camp is nearby. I am thinking these locations where flakes and points are found concentrated in a small area may be indicative of a village nearby.

Thanks again. I am in Murfreesboro.

Jim

yes you are on the right track when you follow your civil war guides to finding camps, only add darker soil as a guide indian villages were in one place longer even if it was spread over a thonsand years,. Terry

Chief - this is an interesting topic. Most of the time I find a good concentration of flakes there are points to be found as well. However, I do occassionally find a site that is rich with flakes and absent points. Generally the flakes and flint on these sites is larger and less refine so I've attributed them to being quarry or work sites. I have no idea if this is accurate.

My uncle who has been doing this for years told me he found one location where one side of the river was full of points and the other side contained only axes no points. He thought they had two different building areas for certain tools. I don't know if there is really anything to it but just found it to be interesting.

I'm not an expert, but in Oklahoma I have found large concentrations of flakes in certain areas. Usually on the south facing side of a hill above a known village site. I have theories about this. In winter, when there was more free time, the south side of a hill would be out of the wind and warmer. Also, the lady of the house probably didn't want you doin flint workin in the house because those flakes can cut the crap out of your feet. So, find a warm place up above the camp out of the wind and sit and b.s. with the other guys and catch up on tool making for hunting season. Just a theory, but makes sense to me.

I've found spots where it is obvious that an artisan sat down and worked out a point.

Debris was the same rock, all around in a 2 foot area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back