que?! a drill???

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
we had a kick butt day today, extreme heat hunting..........
k, my friend is not set that this is a drill, its his find. he thinks the snapped part was the base. i believe it was a lance of some sort which broke and they made into a drill. he thinks it was made other way around where the snapped part was the base and was hafted as a scrapper/flesher. i love how he is open to anything, its a lance for sure, either way. no evidence of paleo unfortunately, no grinding, flaking is random and thick. i wish i had found this piece, but hehehehhehehe did. a awesome find reguardless!!!!!!!!!!

sorry about the fuzz pictures as we were still drunk drom the insian desert heat today and i didnt sort through them cause im rehydrating on alcohol right now :D

p.s. these are not too common in our area

Attachments

• 100_7202.JPG
    100_7202.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 482
  • 100_7204.JPG
    100_7204.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 485
  • 100_7205.JPG
    100_7205.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 482
  • 100_7206.JPG
    100_7206.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 478
  • 100_7208.JPG
    0 bytes · Views: 479
  • 100_7210.JPG
    0 bytes · Views: 464
Upvote 0
Ok I am gonna win this one :laughing7: Yes it is a drill and a scraper. The drill part broke off. It may have even been something before it was turned into drill scraper form. Check out this similiar item with the obvious scraper on the bottom and the drill on top. Probably an old archiac blade re-worked..What ya think?? Did I WIN a contest? :drunken_smilie: Is this a contest? :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• 100_2870.JPG
    100_2870.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 471
lol, u didnt help tn........................... u made it worse!!!!!!!!!!!! jk, freakin awesome piece btw!! dejavuuuuu :( so i agree with ya a combo piece, AFTER the LANCE was broken :) no contest, but you get props:) :hello2: :laughing7:

It appears to be an agate basin or sadalia drill, see like images. On some of the agate basin relics found here in Indiana, the basal grinding can be very light to very heavy. Check the basal area under magnification.

One indication as to the type is the other types of relics and tools found in the area. Has many other paleo relics been found in the same location as this relic?

FYI - one of the better places to purchase microscopes and loops is http://www.microscope.com - the prices are better than most dealers and the equipment is the same.

Attachments

• agateBasinDrill.jpg
    agateBasinDrill.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 412
  • sadalia_drill.jpg
    sadalia_drill.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 409
TnMountains said:
Ok I am gonna win this one :laughing7: Yes it is a drill and a scraper. The drill part broke off. It may have even been something before it was turned into drill scraper form. Check out this similiar item with the obvious scraper on the bottom and the drill on top. Probably an old archiac blade re-worked..What ya think?? Did I WIN a contest? :drunken_smilie: Is this a contest? :icon_scratch:

You are so funny TN.. Great id too.

Molly.

:hello2: Yep I won one at last. I always pull the trigger to late. Chong gonna watch for your next one keep hunting brother :walk:
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back