Quartzite tool or core

jpowers

Dec 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1805.jpeg
IMG_1807.jpeg
IMG_1806.jpeg

Found this in my creek yesterday. It appears to be a worked chunk of quartzite. Any ideas it’s a a tool or maybe a core, or maybe just a rock. Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 1
That is a worked piece. Depends on the edges if they have been worked for scraping? Most times that style will be a preform for another tool or point. A thick blade. Quartzite was really hard to work. I find some once in a while. Good job saving history

That is a worked piece. Depends on the edges if they have been worked for scraping? Most times that style will be a preform for another tool or point. A thick blade. Quartzite was really hard to work. I find some once in a while. Good job saving history
Thank you. Quartz and quartzite are probably the most common materials for points around my part of Virginia. I think you’re correct about it being a preform. It is quite thick.
IMG_1810.jpeg

It doesn’t look heat treated so it’s probably Archaic for age. Woodland period figured out that if you heat treat quartzite and chert it was easier to flake.

It doesn’t look heat treated so it’s probably Archaic for age. Woodland period figured out that if you heat treat quartzite and chert it was easier to flake.
I didn’t know that about the heat treating being a woodland technology. It makes sense for it to be archaic because I have found a morrow mountain and guilford point in the same creek.

I didn’t know that about the heat treating being a woodland technology. It makes sense for it to be archaic because I have found a morrow mountain and guilford point in the same creek.
Let’s see the points you found in a separate post. I do find some quartz and quartzite once in a while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back