Quartzite Arrowhead, .69 Lead Ball, Thimble, Button, and Unidentified Brass Hardware

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I finally got out for a full 8 hour day detecting in the woods. I was active up through June then took a bug break for July. Was going stir crazy not getting out last month so two weeks ago I went out. Ticks and biting flies were down in numbers but literally a swarm of mosquitoes following me around all day. I was overdressed to minimize biting but paid for it in sweat. Yesterday I had just a few mosquitoes, easily kept at bay with Deep Woods Off. Did not see a tick all day. The forest is very dry right now as the leaf canopy has sucked the forest floor dry. Ticks don't like this and stay closer to the waterholes. Plus, they just passed through the nymph stage and the pinhead sized ones were out. So I will be getting out detecting for the rest of the year and starting August 20th have permission to return and detect my rich 180 acre wooded site. Expecting good things this year. When I last left off in June I was working an area that yielded Chinese, Dutch, Russian, British, and early American through Jacksonian era coinage.

The small triangular quartzite arrowhead surface find is a match to the larger one I found in the same area last April, pictured together. Any guesses as to what the brass hardware might be? It's fairly ornate with an etching pattern. I must have found well over 100 horse shoes to date and dozens of hitching loops which I always leave behind.

Attachments

• tres451.jpg
    tres451.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 71
  • tres456.jpg
    tres456.jpg
    928.7 KB · Views: 35
  • tres455.jpg
    tres455.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • tres454.jpg
    tres454.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 30
  • tres453.jpg
    tres453.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 34
  • tres452.jpg
    tres452.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 12
Additional note: I'm confident in my Equinox 900 performance. Yesterday I was easily picking up very small lead shot in the 4" - 6" depth range. I always hunt with sens maxxed out in Field One with factory settings, audio bumped up to 23 and never use headphones. The woods I hunt are quiet and EMF-free and no trouble with mineralized soil.. I hunt by audio and rarely look at my screen. I don't get bogged down in nail fields. I believe the early settlers reused all of the spikes and nails that they could salvage since I pretty much only find broken ones. If I hear a good repeatable target I'm digging. If I had the cash laying around I'm not even sure I would upgrade to a Manticore. I have the Pro Find 35 pin pointer but will most likely buy the new upgraded one. I find pin pointers to be a bit quirky. Good to keep a spare one.

The brass object is the frame of a jew's harp, minus it's steel spring. Do an image search for "jew's harp" and you will find some examples almost identical to yours.

The brass object is the frame of a jew's harp, minus it's steel spring. Do an image search for "jew's harp" and you will find some examples almost identical.
I thought this was possible but assumed they were larger in size. Now that I search examples, I agree.

Nice work, I wonder how old that harp is? What part of the country are you in? Apparently the white man traded these to the Native Americans for furs.

Native American trade goods
9BE2AA6F-CDF0-4255-851F-927C71C53408.jpeg

199AF138-0EF8-453B-9D98-D04806D59E21.jpeg

Nice work, I wonder how old that harp is? What part of the country are you in? Apparently the white man traded these to the Native Americans for furs.

Native American trade goods
View attachment 2098077
View attachment 2098076
I live in the southeastern Long Island, NY area. First British settlement in NY state with a lot of early settlers coming from MA, CT, and RI. Can't rule out it being a trade item but the island's native population was 3/4s decimated from smallpox by the first decades of the 1700s. So far I have found two copper kettle arrowheads from the contact period so there was a brief period of cultural mixing. Area was first settled after 1650.

Thats cool. I wonder how you go about dating those. I know civil war soldiers use to play them around the campfires but i think those ones were a little bigger. so it could be really old.

I would guess 1750ish. I have found coins nearby dating to 1701, 1722, and 1723 (2). I handled it a bit since posting to remove surface corrosion. The back of the loop is worn smooth so it got some good playing time.

Attachments

• 20230807_195459.jpg
    20230807_195459.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230807_195445.jpg
    20230807_195445.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 11
Yesterday I finally got out for a full 8 hour day detecting in the woods. I was active up through June then took a bug break for July. Was going stir crazy not getting out last month so two weeks ago I went out. Ticks and biting flies were down in numbers but literally a swarm of mosquitoes following me around all day. I was overdressed to minimize biting but paid for it in sweat. Yesterday I had just a few mosquitoes, easily kept at bay with Deep Woods Off. Did not see a tick all day. The forest is very dry right now as the leaf canopy has sucked the forest floor dry. Ticks don't like this and stay closer to the waterholes. Plus, they just passed through the nymph stage and the pinhead sized ones were out. So I will be getting out detecting for the rest of the year and starting August 20th have permission to return and detect my rich 180 acre wooded site. Expecting good things this year. When I last left off in June I was working an area that yielded Chinese, Dutch, Russian, British, and early American through Jacksonian era coinage.

The small triangular quartzite arrowhead surface find is a match to the larger one I found in the same area last April, pictured together. Any guesses as to what the brass hardware might be? It's fairly ornate with an etching pattern. I must have found well over 100 horse shoes to date and dozens of hitching loops which I always leave behind.
Great finds!! Congrats!!

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back